• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bootable CD from .exe windows file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teh Governator

Registered
I can download a copy of Windows XP for free from my university but they come as .exe files. If I want to use them to install the OS on a brand new rig, how can I convert the .exe file onto a bootable disc I can use?

Basically, I need a way to get the .exe install file off my current computer and install the OS on a brand new computer.

Help please. Thank you.

bchur83 said:
It is probably just a compressed file. If you extract it, it is most likely an ISO. Just burn the ISO image.

Yeah I can extract it but its not an ISO. Its a 700MB folder of files. Can I mak this bootable or turn it into an ISO?

I have add-ons, cdsample, drivers, tools, win98, autorun, readme, and setup. The first 5 are folders, stup is an app.

Could I use MagicISO to create an ISO of the entire folder I extracted the files to and then use ImgBurn to burn the ISO?

Will it work just like an install disc?

Teh Governator said:
Could I use MagicISO to create an ISO of the entire folder I extracted the files to and then use ImgBurn to burn the ISO?

Will it work just like an install disc?

Over at MSFN they have a gui rep of cdimage this is the simplest way to make a bootable XPCD

Extract all the folders to C:\XPCD (they have instructions its very easy if you follow them exactly... if you change locations you need to go into the program and start changing settings...)

They also tell you where to extract the CDIMAGE utility.. i forget the location its a root C:\ location though

Makes the ISO (if its not already SP2 then I suggest slipstreaming it (just download SP2 redistributable, type X:\Location of exe /integrate:X:\location of xp rip (like C:\xpcd)

here is more detailed info

Use this site for making the bootable

Use this site to slipstream sp2if needed

HTH

Last edited:
Back