• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Vista from a Dual boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

Ok I know there was a thread where someone posted how to delete the boot thing so it doesn't look for the vista partition anymore. Anyhow I was going to do that & I guess I had waited to long & the 30 day trial thing is over.

I didn't & do not want to use my CD Key b/c I don't know for sure which computer I want to lock it to so during the install I just skipped the CD Key entry.

Anyhow went to log into it so I could remove the stuff I need to & it won't let me get into it without entrying a valid CD Key.

So how do I get rid of Vista & such so the pc won't look for it once the partition is deleted? Or can it even be done without entrying the CD Key?

Oh & I really don't want to reformat so soon.lol

this should work
Uninstall

After playing around with Vista for a few days, you may want to remove it from your system, and reclaim the hard drive space. Microsoft has made this step very simple as well.
  1. Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
  2. Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
  3. Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
  4. Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
  5. Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
  6. Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C:), these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
  7. Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
  8. Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.

Fr3@k3r said:
this should work

thanks man...will give it a try later...

though how would I go about merging the partitions? I didn't use any 3rd part stuff for it just used the windows XP disk/settup to do it? Will there be an option to do it if I pop the XP disk in again on bootup?

Wolverine690 said:
thanks man...will give it a try later...

though how would I go about merging the partitions? I didn't use any 3rd part stuff for it just used the windows XP disk/settup to do it? Will there be an option to do it if I pop the XP disk in again on bootup?

3rd party software like Partition magic should do the trick, might be able to do it with windows i dunno about that tho

Back