• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fooling XP SP2 apps to work on SP1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've had nothing but problems with SP2 (and no, I'm not trying to circumvent WPA, I "upgraded" as a test recently). I've always reformatted or uninstalled it due to blue screens and other goings-on that have always turned me off - plus there's a guy on these forums that compares XP, linux and OS x, describing XP SP2 as installing a program as having to install several hotfixes and having windows protection centre nag you a million times.

Anyway, office 2k7, flight sim 10, IE 7, all want SP2 (though I've installed SP2, then FS10, and uninstalled SP2 just fine). Unfortunately I can't put SP2 on again without reformatting because I get some sort of "can't stop process" error (and really that's fine with me! :p ). Is there ANY way to fool apps into thinking you're running SP2?

Adragontattoo said:
not that I know of.

I havent ever had any issues after installing Sp2 excluding one machine that went from Intel to AMD.

Here's one - BSOD involving netbios when any networking device is in use. Can't disable netbios, and the BSOD happens before you get a chance to get into net connections, happens in safe mode with net support, and normal safe mode doesn't have net support.

invictius said:
Here's one - BSOD involving netbios when any networking device is in use. Can't disable netbios, and the BSOD happens before you get a chance to get into net connections, happens in safe mode with net support, and normal safe mode doesn't have net support.
Update drivers beforehand?

Back