• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista64 and 3DMark06

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confusedxx

Registered
I just installed 3Dmark06 onto Vista Ultimate 64 and get the following error:

The application failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the applciation may fix this problem.

What the heck is that and why do some of these applications not work on Vista? I thought vista was backwards compatible and Vista64 was backwards compatible for the 32bit apps. Is there a fix so I can see how my 3d marks look on the new PC?

I reinstalled it and got a message that Creative has installed OpenAL for me, but it failed again.

I guess it does not support 64bit OS yet :confused:

Vista is not 100% compatible with XP. There are many apps that do not run in Vista that run in XP.

If you want max compatibility, XP is still your best choice.

Vista 32bit runs 3dMark06 just fine. Check my sig. it's the 64bit part that's causing you grief.

3Dmark06 works fine with Vista 64 and with the new drivers scores about the same as XP.
Not sure whats going on here other than to tell you it should work.

Deanzo said:
3Dmark06 works fine with Vista 64 and with the new drivers scores about the same as XP.
Not sure whats going on here other than to tell you it should work.

I wish it would work for me. I get a blue screen with "Kernel Page Instack Error" when it tries to install. 3Dmark06 will not even install for me without crashing the computer. I wonder what other nice surprises Vista 64 has for me. :bang head :mad:

confusedxx said:
I wish it would work for me. I get a blue screen with "Kernel Page Instack Error" when it tries to install. 3Dmark06 will not even install for me without crashing the computer. I wonder what other nice surprises Vista 64 has for me. :bang head :mad:

My only comfort for you is that, I also can't get 3dmark06 to work with Vista x64 :) We just have to wait until Futuremark makes a new, compatible version.

After you install 3DMark06, including the v110 patch, and before running the program for the first time... reinstall OpenAL by running the OAL installer package (even though it was previously installed by the 3DM setup program):

OpenAL Installer for Windows
http://http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46

You can also re-run the installer after receiving the "The application failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the applciation may fix this problem" error message.

Or if not mistaken you take the OpenAL32.dll and drop it into the 3DMark directory or in the System32 directory. Forgot which but I know there was posts on this when Vista came out. I Run Vista 64-bit and I got the same thing you did the first time I tried it, after copying that DLL to a certain directory it was fixed.

I know this thread has been dead for quite some time but I searched for this for a LONG TIME and could not solve the problem until now. Hopefully it will help others making the transition to Vista x64. I found the solution for this openAL32.dll problem that Vista x64 seems to be experiencing in another forum.

1) Grab a copy of openal here: http://www.openal.org/downloads.html
2) Save it to Desktop
3) Run the oalinst.exe file that you saved on the Desktop
.... Now for some odd reason this does nothing yet you need to do the following:
4) Go into /Program Files (x86)/OpenAL/ and rerun the same installation file (oalinst.exe) located in that folder one more time.

That should do it!
This fixed 3DMark06 for me, however I still cannot get Quake4 to run on Vista x64

Last edited:
Back