• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 2gig DDR1 memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

I'm looking to upgrade my 1gig of ram for the new slew of games coming in the fall. so i was wondering how much the speed of the ram will actually matter. for example, the difference between 215mhz and 240mhz (real world)? the timings are about the same. and the price difference is 20, but i'm on a tight budget. any suggestions?

Speed matters up to a point, as in DDR500 is faster than DDR333 by a good amount that you can see in real use.

the difference from 215 and 240 would be marginal in comparrison to going from 1 to 2 gigs. Faster memory does have its merits though. It allows you to run higher FSB's than you normally could(obviously meaning a faster system overall). Instead of looking for the fastest RAM you can afford and hoping that it will make a difference, decide on how high you want to run your FSB, multiply it with the available RAM multipliers and you will see your options. Go for the fastest speed you can practically afford.

I can already feel the heated arguments starting, But I have always benifitted more from raw speed than marginally better timings. It's a different ball game when you are talking about large differences in timings though...

the thing is i'm deciding between 2 sets of 2x1gb ram both are pc3200 and both run at nearly the same timings around 2:2:3:6, but the overclockability is low on one and better on the other. I just really want to know whether the 30mhz difference in speed is going to give me like 10 more fps or more like 1 fps.

bumsquad said:
the thing is i'm deciding between 2 sets of 2x1gb ram both are pc3200 and both run at nearly the same timings around 2:2:3:6, but the overclockability is low on one and better on the other. I just really want to know whether the 30mhz difference in speed is going to give me like 10 more fps or more like 1 fps.

More like 1fps :)

Back