• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is using Thaiphoon Burner likely to help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mortimer

Hello.

I have this setup:

I am running at 9.5x300 (2850MHz) with 475MHz (6 divider, effective 950MHz) at 1.34 VCORE and 2.2 VDIMM with very good temps considering that I am using good air and it's summer. :)

The issue that I am having is that the Biostar BIOS does not allow me to change any of the DRAM timings. Beeps followed by going to stock timings for everything. Basically I can set RAM speed to 800, 667, or 533. The BIOS picks the divider. :eek:

At 800 I am able to run Orthos stable at 9.5x250 with a divider of 5.
At 667 I am able to run Orthos stable at 9.5x300 with a divider of 6. Caveat: Need to set tRAS to 15 and tRC to 22 or higher using MemSet 3.3 once I get into Windows. Board seems to like 25 or 26.
At 533 I get BSOD as, I think, tRAS and tRC are way too low. :bang head

After seeing the increase that I got by going from 800 to 667 I am considering reprogramming the SPDs to use the 800 timings for 533. :confused:

My first thought was to use SPD-Z. It's from OCZ and so it must be good. Right? Unfortunately it does not see the RAM at all on my board and my impression from a few conversations at the OCZ forums make me suspect that it never will. The other issue with SPD-Z is that there are apparently not any SPD updates in the OCZ repository for this RAM. Got this from another user at the OCZ forums. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing OCZ. The RAM does what SteveOCZ said it would. But like the kid in the Charles Dickens book, I want more...

My second thought was to use SPDTool. It doesn't see the RAM either.

I tried Thaiphoon earlier today. It does see my RAM and does write to the SPD. Found this out today when I managed to set all timings on one module to the 800 timings. Resetting to stock was trivial by reading the SPD from the good module and flashing to the not-so-good module. Kiss another warranty goodbye...

Anyway, I have figured out the interface for Thaiphoon. I believe that I have overcome the slim nature of the documentation (none).

What do you folks think?

It *should* work. But be careful to flash your sticks correctly. Make sure you are selecting the right HEX address. Put one stick in and read its SPD and save it to your HD in case something goes wrong. I believe there are some SPD files on XS somewhere...

Back