• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 800 Firestix shows up as DDR2 667 from Melco?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g14novak

I recently downloaded CPU-Z to have a backup record of my oc before I get the rest of my buffalo sticks back from RMA and I went to check the memory section and it shows up with this:
firestixdd1.jpg

Is this a known problem with CPU-Z or is their something wrong with my ram?

I have run it at 450mhz 5-5-5-10 since the day I got it (other 3 sticks were DOA) and had no hangs.

Should I consider contacting Buffalo services or not worry about it?

Try a different version or program, someone else has a "similar issue".

I don't know what other programs to check it with, but I just downloaded v1.39 and it says the same thing.

g14novak said:
I don't know what other programs to check it with, but I just downloaded v1.39 and it says the same thing.
Everest?

something is very wrong with that.Melco?wth is that lol?i would definately give buffalo a call and find out whats up.i wonder if the new modules will play with that module...
id really like to know what buffalo has to say about that.

Both of my sets say that too. It's just what happens to be programmed in to the speed imo. Like all but a few companies Buffalo outsources for their chips, I'm not sure how far the outsourcing goes though, maybe you can find something on 'Melco'?

I used to have Buffalo PC3500 BH-5 it showed as Melco. I also have Buffalo PC5300 D9GMH it showed as Melco too, this boy doesn't have heatspread.

Just peeled the heatspreader off my Firestix and its a D9GMH, and to check, ran it up to 500 mhz, ran just fine.

Going to call Buffalo after I get off the phone with ASUS about my RMA. :argue:

After a quick google search, Melco owns Buffalo Technology.

Quick history lesson.

Melco Finance Inc. began marketing memory for rambus devices in Nov. 1999; thus creating Buffalo Technology in Feb 2000.

Looks like I find out something new every day.

I see the mystery has been solved......

I was going to say my Firesticks show up the same way, but they clock like mad, so I'm not complaining..:)

Yep, that just happens to be what's flashed to the spd. It happens from time to time with binned sticks. Manufacturing is outsourced, and they flash a generic spd. The sticks are binned for performance, and sometimes a batch slips out without the spd being reprogrammed. Doesn't hurt anything like performance, but it can be annoying.

Hasn't affected me yet. I run this stick at 400mhz 4-3-4-9(mb lowest) on 2.1v and its perfect, no snags yet.

Back