• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe voltage for memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kai_Force

Hi. Currently i use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565 for my memory. I love these sticks because, as im writing this, there sitting at 1200Mhz @ 5-5-5-18, at 2.2v. Frikken amazing. Im wondering, is it safe to go past 2.2v? I have a 120mm fan blowing straight on this ram, and they are barely warm. So as long as i can keep em pretty cool, does it matter what voltage i bring em up to?

Yeh, i think they werent stable cuz i got a blue screen from opening Nvidia control panel, i'll try 2.25v, and yah thanks, 1200mhz is frikken amazing clocks.

Im not telling you to do this but, my sticks run at 2.3v 24/7 and I have run them at 2.4v for high FSB benching and such.

I remember back when people had fat body D9 that there were complaints of them dying all over the place when using over 2.2v but I'm not so sure about the newer D9GMH.

According to the DDR2 Ramlist those Ballistix could have either older fat body (D9DQW) or newer (D9GMH) ICs.

IMO its not worth risking killing the memory, when you already have an impressive overclock at stock volts.

With reference to the Kingston HyperX PC2-8500;

"It's also good to note that Kingston is backing up these memory modules with a lifetime warranty. No matter how overclocked or overvolted the memory chips in these memory modules are, you can be assured of a replacement from Kingston should anything untoward happen to the modules. It is certainly great news for PC enthusiasts who love pushing their PC to the limits."

For benching I know a lot of us go up to 2.5v+ on these D9GMH chips.

I don't think the fay body ICs are made anymore.
I know, but he didnt say how long he'd had these sticks, so theres a possibility they're using the older ICs :)

It seems like DDR2 really cant take the volts that older DDR ICs could take, +0.3v over stock was normal for DDR, now its more like +0.1v is the limit for DDR2.

I've just got some ADATA Extreme 1066+ (2.2v) which uses D9GMH, going to be putting together my new C2D build tommorow, so will see how those chips do with more voltage soon :D

I bought my memory sticks like 2 weeks before posting this. So, hopefully there not the fat body chips :). Would the only way to check what chips they are be to take the HS off and looking at what is written on them? Pretty sure this would void the waranty though.

They definitely wont be the fat bodys. They stopped putting those in long ago. I'm pretty sure the Ballistix have been carrying the D9GMH chips for nearly a year now.

My G-Skill HZ supposedly use the newer d9 chips and 2.2v is pretty easy for them, but I noticed a significant increase in temperature (finger tested) when going to 2.3v. I backed em down clock and voltage wise for that reason.

Yeah once you start kicking up the voltage you get into heat problems. Which is the memories worst nightmare. Hence why you have to stick a fan over them. Surprising how much good a little airflow will do.

Hence why you have to stick a fan over them. Surprising how much good a little airflow will do.
It's funny how a tiny amount of airflow is often enough to cool stuff like northbridge, RAM, mosfets from burning hot to luke warm.

My ASRock used to hit 70C on the NB, I put a 40mm 7cfm fan on it, and it never went above 35C, even under Orthos load.

My Corsair XMS TCCD at DDR600 /w 3.0v used to be untouchable without a fan, with a 80mm 25cfm fan they werent even warm :santa:

Back