• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the difference between 1GB@400 and 2GB@333?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silkshadow

I have bad ram. A dual channel kit of 2gbs (2x1gb) is giving all kinds of errors in memtest. I only have another set of 2x512mb (matched). When I put them in the box I only get 333mhz instead of the 400 I used to get. Its something to do with dual sided and single sided or something, anyway its not an error its just the way the board works. I actually remember buying the original 3gbs of ram with that in mind.

So I am wondering if I am better off with 1GB@400mhz or staying with the 2GB@333mhz? This is not a gaming machine or a performance machine at all, its a server. It runs W2k3 SBS (Exchange, SQL database, etc). Its a bit of a ram hungry beast, which is why I was quick to give it the ram when the other sticks died. Replacing the ram is not a possibility, I can't find single sided sticks of any decent quality or capacity here.

Thanks!

I would reset your BIOS, or possibly update it, sounds like it is not detecting the RAM correctly...

Try placing the sticks in different slots, or swapping them around.

Servers genarally benifit more from capacity than speed, so if there were no other option I would go with 2GB @ 333....

Cant you go into the BIOS and force it to 400?

I have bad ram. A dual channel kit of 2gbs (2x1gb) is giving all kinds of errors in memtest. I only have another set of 2x512mb (matched). When I put them in the box I only get 333mhz instead of the 400 I used to get. Its something to do with dual sided and single sided or something, anyway its not an error its just the way the board works. I actually remember buying the original 3gbs of ram with that in mind.

So I am wondering if I am better off with 1GB@400mhz or staying with the 2GB@333mhz? This is not a gaming machine or a performance machine at all, its a server. It runs W2k3 SBS (Exchange, SQL database, etc). Its a bit of a ram hungry beast, which is why I was quick to give it the ram when the other sticks died. Replacing the ram is not a possibility, I can't find single sided sticks of any decent quality or capacity here.

Thanks!

Any details on what equipment you are running? Any suggestions that we might have will be generic in nature without them. Like the one below.

If you need the memory, you need it. RAM at 333 is better than swap space at disk speeds.

Edit: Note to self; "that" != "than"

Thanks for the replies! I did put the ram in 2 other machines and memtest came up bad in all of them. Its not unexpected as the ram is over 4 years old (to a max of 6 years), running 24/7 for its entire lifespan.

This is on a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. the original ram was all Crucial single sided pc3200 (yes, I will be sending the ram back to crucial to test that warranty, but I bought it in the US and I am in the Philippines). The new set is an OCZ 3200 performance match pair (gold heat spreaders). I also have a pair of 2x512 match Corsair value ram sticks. If these will only run at 333, I think I will put the corsair value ram sticks in, do you think thats a good idea?

The machine will run on 1GB but I have to set the priority in the OS to programs and some of the services will respond slower. I haven't had a chance to test it with the 2GBs yet, will do so this weekend. However, in general, is 2gb@333 better than 1GB@400?

Thanks!

Thanks! Ok, I'm going with the Crucial 1gb match pair and the Corsair value select 1GB match pair running at 333hz. Hoping Crucial will warranty my 2gb match pair when I go home for Christmas.

Back