• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these cheapo pc3200 ddr ram is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zer0nix

^topic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7+1052107965+1052407862+1052307857&name=512MB

it will be going in a system with an nf7s v2, an xpm2500 @ 200x10 and 512mb pc3200 kingston value ram (winbond) @ 8:3:3:3 @ 2.6 volts. i've gotten this system to 220 fsb (though i've only used it at 210 and 200 fsb) and may consider overclocking again with the components i have.

i'm looking primarily at the kingston value ram -because that's what i have currently- but i wonder if it would be a better investment to get the ocz premier for $32 (or is the 'premier' identical to ocz value? ). the one with the copper heatsink also looks very tempting. i've also heard good things about geil. i'm really not looking to spend more than $35. what do you guys think?

PS: i haven't messed with my cmos settings in a long time and i just discovered that my powersupply controller is set at "system default" with these settings:

cpucore: 1.575v
ddr sdram: 2.6v
chipset: 1.6v
agp: 1.5v

do these values look right? they seem different from what i remember -though it's been a long while since i've even looked at these settings. the timings for my ram also seem off; it's set at "optimal" and i seem to recall setting it at 2.5:3:3:X though i may have lowered the timings to test the cpu. if anything here looks off, please don't hesitate to post or message me!

I'd go with the lowest cas latency (2) that you can afford. I'm unclear whether you're
adding the ram to your current 512MB or replacing with another 512MB. Mixing ram is
generally a problem unless the new ram matches exactly the same timings, vdimm, and even then
may not function correctly, as the chip density or ic's may not be compatible.

Back