• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS going backwards in ocing technology?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

Well i had problems with my dads ASUS TUSL2 and all his devices because it didnt have a 1/4 pci DIVIDER and it was really annoying and i wondered why i hadnt any problems on my P3V4X, even though that didnt have a 1/4PCI divider below 133bus, and then one day whuile playing with option s i realized that after 124bus teh divider goes to 1/4, so why would asus include it 2years ago and not now?

Mainboards offer less operating choices as time goes by. IRQ's were assignable on 440BX mainboards, I think. This feature is seemingly almost history--leaving the ability of sophisticated OS's to do this out of the picture. Not everyone wants Win2K.

To be fair, this isn't the fault of the mainboard manufacturer's as much as it is of the chipset maker's. Intel may be swell. All the same, memory performance took a nosedive after the i440BX chipset. Viz, the vci820, i810 and i815 chipsets. This regression, dare I say repression of memory throughput performance was not necessary. It was marchitecture--technology for the benefit of the manufacturer--not the consumer. Rambus just had to appear to be a good memory choice when compared to PC-100 and PC-133 Sdram.

Thanks, Chipzilla! A billion wasted consumer bucks on these three poor performance chipsets. We paid for it, of course. Does this make us the fool? Shuh!

Personally, I think Asus's design teams and QC ain't what they used to be. I no longer see Asus mainboards as the best.

klosters64a said:

Personally, I think Asus's design teams and QC ain't what they used to be. I no longer see Asus mainboards as the best.

i agree with that, however the ASUS P4 boards seem to be better than most of the others out there, but i think ASUS has just become big and fat and realize that people will pay more money for just a name....

funnyperson1 said:

i agree with that, however the ASUS P4 boards seem to be better than most of the others out there, but i think ASUS has just become big and fat and realize that people will pay more money for just a name....
I too agree but must disagree with removing the P4T from the list. I have a board that never got QCd or it was looked at just before quitting time. It had an AGP slot that wouldn't even let the card seat completely. It took me 6 weeks to get the board so rather than RMA it I took a jewelers file to the cards locking tab till it seated. How do you check a board without a vid card. Later while trying to get rid of an inferior HSF one of the retainers broke. A $1.00 part that can only be ordered from Taiwan. That started my romance with Swiftech. Maybe I got the only bad board made that day but if they make 5,000 boards per day then that's a failure rate of 200 for every 1,000,000 made. Thats a lot of customer dissatisfaction. Got cared away. ASUS P4 boards have QC probs too.

Back