• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ballistix vs XMS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Epilon

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

or

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148070

I am planning on overclocking, or trying to overclock my ram.

also, a little unrelated, but what would be a good fan for my Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, and my HR-03 vga cooler?
I was going to use a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan for the extreme, and a Scythe Minebea NMB Silent IC Series 3610KL-04W-B19-FB1 92mm Case Fan for the VGA cooler, but the 92mm is sold out at newegg at the moment, so would there be a better choice for a 92mm fan?
thanks all

Never tried crucial dominator, but crucial ballistix tracers have sweet led's, and overclock extremely high.

Dominators = D9GMH

Ballistix = D9GMH

Both clock the same.

Next best thing is warranty/customerservice/price.

I'd go with the Crucial just because they are cheaper. Both companies provide excellent service so don't let that hold your decision back.

Would the 60 dollar difference between the Crucial 800 and 1066 make a considerable difference. Keep in mind, I'm not building a top of the line system here, I'm not using SLI and I'm using a Q6600 not an "Extreme" CPU. So... I mean... would RAM really make THAT much of a noticeable difference in system performance (especially in gaming) or could the money be spent better somewhere else? Thanks.

Damn, I just want a computer!! Now people are telling me to ditch the p35 and go with the EVGA 680i board from down the hall. They say to run 2 GTS's. I was wondering if 4g of ram would be better to run SLI with then 2G. Would it make that much of a difference if i decided to ditch the p35 and go 680i and run SLI? Should I even consider ditching the p35? Ill be running a Q6600.

Damn, I just want a computer!! Now people are telling me to ditch the p35 and go with the EVGA 680i board from down the hall. They say to run 2 GTS's. I was wondering if 4g of ram would be better to run SLI with then 2G. Would it make that much of a difference if i decided to ditch the p35 and go 680i and run SLI? Should I even consider ditching the p35? Ill be running a Q6600.

if SLi is what your going for an NV chipset is the only way to go - really - p35 doesnt support SLi.

/edit - also what OS are you running? a 32bit OS isnt going to beable to use the full 4gigs of ram anyways.

Or if you want to wait and find out the X38 chipset may support SLI.

I dont think i can wait till the end of the year for the x38 boards that are worth the money. I wouldn't want to get the initial boards, just due to bios problems etc.

Also Ill be running vista.

Back