• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading mem - opinions and a question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I have a few options to go with. But I am also a bit confused..

As my sig shows, I am currently running 2x512mb OCZ premier series. I was just going to buy another set exactly the same (2x512mb premier OCZ). This is of course still an option, and the cost is $115CAD.

Now, the funny thing is that ncix (my online retailer) has the OCZ PLATINUM 2x512MB set for $110, which is in fact cheaper! The timings are tighter (2-3-3-6 compared to 2.5-3-3-7 for premier) and I've heard the platinum has more o/c potential. Now, is it possible for me to buy this and add to my premier and still run in dual channel? If my premier cannot o/c timings to match, I can always reduce the timings on these sticks and o/c both to an equivelant clock? Is this possible at all?

The third option I just discovered about 30 mins ago and is indeed the reason I decided to finally post and ask. I found 2x1GB Performance Series with 3-3-3-7 timings for only $130CAD. This just looks too good to be true. Again, will I be able to add this to my current mem and still run dual channel? And if not, is it still better to go with 2x1gb and sell the current set, or go with an option above?

Another long post by me, sorry, but I always have a need to be specific. I hope I was so I can get some help. What should I go for?

Naturally, if someone has a different suggestion within my price range (under $150CAD), I would love to hear it.

You can mix the different models, hell you can mix different speeds, but of course your fastest stick will always be running the same speed as your slowest.

And where did you find OCZ4002048PFDC-K for 130.00 cad?

Yes possible, but you will have to find a happy medium between both sets in regards to speed and timing, and voltage.

Back