• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
I have a low 5V line, and I just remembered that my connector going to my board is about twice as long as I need it, so can I cut the 5V cable shorten it then solder it together again (cover the solder with tape) and will this help?

If so which wire is the 5V one?

Help my 5V is 4.85 and i'm about to do a Volt Mod!!!!

Here's a pic scanned from Digikey's pdf.
It's just to illustrate, but these are a common type. They're 5-7mm accross and have a screwdriver slot in the top. often blue or yellow in color.

I must mention..Take precaution that the psu doesn't shock you.
Some of the capacitors in a psu can carry a lethal shock! Some are large like a half stack of coins, and some are small...but they are effective as bullets. Hate to loose a good OC'r, especially to a machine he was trying to better.

Flounder is right

Halving the length of the 5V wire will half the amount of resistance it provides. However, the amount of resistance that wire like that provides is so small that cutting it in half will do nothing noticeable. I fact, the solder will probably increase the resistance. Most is the resistance is inside your psu and completely untouchable.

If you have a 300W psu, a one second shock from that will hit you with the same energy a 300Kg dropped from 1m. Make sure that the psu has been turned off for a long time before you play with it or get someone who knows a bit more about electronics to discharge the capacitor for you.

Good luck.....

Re: Flounder is right

BanksySan said:
Halving the length of the 5V wire will half the amount of resistance it provides. However, the amount of resistance that wire like that provides is so small that cutting it in half will do nothing noticeable. I fact, the solder will probably increase the resistance. Most is the resistance is inside your psu and completely untouchable.

If you have a 300W psu, a one second shock from that will hit you with the same energy a 300Kg dropped from 1m. Make sure that the psu has been turned off for a long time before you play with it or get someone who knows a bit more about electronics to discharge the capacitor for you.

Good luck.....

Actually read this Thread pretty conclusive evidence there.

Thanks for the replies:beer:

Back