• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3-3-3-8 vs 2-3-2-5 Timings ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swebarb

Registered
I wanna know how big difference in games are thoose above timings when running 2x1gb dual pc3200 kits without any overclocking ?

As long as the memory can run that without any errors, not much of a big difference. A few fps, probably about 2-5 or so.

I could be wrong on this, but I would guess in games there would be 0 difference. Memory timings shouldn't matter.
Yeah, I'm going to side with you. Unless the game is heavily memory dependent, it shouldn't make a difference. ;)

You will just get a few more frames per second. So if you need frames, then tighen your ram timings :)

Are there any advantages to "loosening" the timings? And is any specific timing more important than the others? (ras, cas, etc)
Well, the looser the timings, the more speed you can push out of the modules.

Well, the looser the timings, the more speed you can push out of the modules.
I mean as far as overclocking is concerned... Is there any connection between the RAMs timings and overclocking capabilities?

Can you explain how to "push" this speed out? My OCZ Gold DDR500 only runs at 200MHz because of my CPU, is there any way to change this? I seem to be getting HTT limited at around 230.

yup yup, your ram should be able to hit 250fsb, if its ddr500, however if your cpu cant handle that high of a fsb, then of course you'll be limited to whereever the cpu is stable at. Leave it on loose timings first and tighten it (of course this is all assuming you're not running on a memory divider)

There is no difference at all in gaming, might as well run it loose and not overwork the ram for no gain. Some encoding apps like tight timings but even then your talking 1-2% improvements.

Back