• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Four sticks good, Reaper HPC 6400 hit 450FSB cas4 E6750?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

A few years back I bought a very excellent dual channel memory kit, the 2x256MB OCZ cas2.5 EL4200, for my 2.6C MHz cpu in an Asus P4C800E-D mobo, and I (only) get about a 20% overclock (OC) becasuse the cpu is the limiting factor. I remember reading some statements circa C series Pentium that it was not possible to use all 4 slots in a mobo at the same time and get the inherent full performance of the technology; at least not while really laying into the OCing. This RAM can OC to 40%, or even 44%. If I want to add more RAM to this system I'd use the other/last two RAM slots 2&4. Would I still have dual channel operation (&/or all of those type advantages) if I tried to OC all 4 RAM sticks to the 20% higher FSB240 from the std. FSB200? Mind you, since its a 2nd pooter, due to cost I may not get a 2nd set of RAM capable of the full 20% OC, maybe something less, but the question still applies. I am good at following numbers, but not too good at what they mean in this example.

For future reference, In todays latest greatest mobos (eg I am looking at the Asus P5K mobo (P35 chipset) & the E6750 (1333FSB) cpu) can 4 sticks of dual channel run with all benefits of everything?

Again, I may not be really laying into the OCing, with this, my newest, system, but I may just start with an OCZ dual channel 2x1GB of Reaper HPC DDR2-800 PC2-6400 RAM. If I understand correctly putting this trio togther would result in the cpu running at 400/333 x 2.66 = 3.195MHz? 400/333 = 1.201, or a 20.1% OC. Can I then OC the RAM itself (& the cpu) above and beyond that? I am hoping for a FSB of around 450, and the truth is, that is why I'm here, to find out if I can likely hit around 450FSB from the std. 333FSB on this trio with the 2x1GB Reaper HPC PC2-6400 dual channel kit. Do I have access to +/- incrememtally with the settings as they may be with this mobo/pu/RAM combo and enough RAM OC headroom above and beyond for these specs? That would be a 450/333 = 1.351, about a 35% OC of the stock 333FSB E6750 newest cpu. The total cpu MHz would be 2.66 x 1.351= 3.595MHz. I want to keep the keep the cas4 timings, not too concerned now with the other 3 timing numbers (eg Tras). I am allowing a little wriggle room on the 450FSB for the cas4. The Qs went form very general to very specific. Not too specific. Just wanna know if I got it right, and this RAM is in the ballpark.

btw, can you tell me if I can get a Zalman CNPS-7000Cu cpu fan fin cooler together with the Reaper HPC on a Asus P5K mobo. Mind you, I may not use the Zalman since noise is a concern this time and I am geting a quiet case - I'll see how it all goes.

Back