• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista: mix 2x1GB with 2x256 RAM sticks, OCing a P42.6C 20%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

What about dual channel, OC, & timings
What happens when you mix 2 256MB sticks with 2 1GB sticks. I know the best settings I'll get is whatever the least pair is (the new 2x1GB sticks), and I'm ok withthat, but is the different size gonna maybe/likelydefinetely cause a problem wrt the OC, timings, or even worse the dual channel operation itself?
I just bought Vista Home Premium, but I dunno if I'm gonna open it yet - my P4C800E-D mobo only has 2x256MB of insane 288/576/1152 cas2.5 PC-4200 RAM. For a explanation of whats going on with that RAM being written that way (or to set me straight) go to my other post last night in the memory forum
"ddr400@ 288FSB vs DDR2-800 OCd to 227?". 512MB is the minimum, not even recommended and don't know what to do.

If I open this and install it on this pooter with 512MB RAM and find it is unusable or rediculous until I get a little more RAM, will I be required to log in to get it up and running or keep running? Is there a limited time to activate - I don't know if/when I'll get more RAM for it to run properly. Do I even need to log in to run it permanently? What about if I do, then later:

Now to the question of more RAM, should I try to sell the 2x256, and get 2x1GB, or just add the 2 old and 2 new sticks (2x1GB) together. Old DDR400 RAM costs more than new RAM now. The RAM I get may have a little OC in it, but the cpu is only good for 20%- from 200FSB to 240 (2.6 to 3.12MHz). The 2x256 RAM I have is stupid. It OCs to 288 (44% above 200), 266 guaranteed. So the new RAM won't drag down the old OC; not enough to hurt anyway. But will it all (4 sticks) work together at maybe 15% OC (2 sticks 256MB, 2 sticks 1GB)?

I may have to buy a pooter, steal the RAM, and resell it for a little less. Best Buy wants $165 CDN per 1GB stick, plus tax, $100 on sale down the streeet. I can do a little better, but.... Then I could sell my stupid RAm and get 2GB free. Or spend $400!!!!! Any stupids out there with a 2.4 likes to run at 3.46Ghz, in Toronto? I could try to trade something for 2x1GB RAM.

possibly
unlikely
probably
95%
100%
could you be specific? thx

the orig 2x256MB 2 sticks
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_4200_dual_channel-eol

a possible 2x1GB future 2 sticks.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr_pc_3200_2gb_dual_channel
Has OC of 20% (my cpu max limit) but is cas3, unless a review says cas2 poss, Given a 5% concession on OC when buying the new RAM (a 15-20%OC is fine/same/all), is a cas3 to cas2 a big deal since I am chincing - a chince moment wise, for a few bucks? I point this out because in hindsite this poter could have OC'd 40% over stock MHz with the orig RAm, and everything the same, if I had bought a 2.4C, not the newer 2.6C (woops, not newer, my mistake when reading reviews). SO I am starting out 25% slower anyway. Its not slow, 3.12MHz, best DDR400 RAM avail, but it will never be 100% like I wanted? SO, cas 3 to 2? Have a clue whatcha think? This price (CDN$140) is between a I'll take it sight unseen right now ($100) and what I'd expect if I had to look at stores around for the first guarantedd cas2 20% OC (maybe $200). I'll be reviewing and looking for a while, and may never find - the low price. cas2 to cas3 real world diff in this situation - going back in technology. Not a lot of options for older 184 pin DDr400, nor deal options.

Last edited:
I don't believe that you loose dual channel if your two channels are properly populated.

One 256 module and one 1GB module in each channel should still run in dual channel on an i875 chipset mobo like the Asus P4C800. Most allow a certain number of Double Sided (DS) and Single Sided (SS) sticks to be used at the same time and still maintain dual channel mode. Check your manual or download from Asus's site if you don't have it...they all have charts telling you how to populate the dimms and still run in DC.

Larger density modules (1GB) generally overclock less than modules with less density, all other things being equal (same PCB and chips, for example) so you should not expect your overclock to be a high as it was with the 256 sticks.

BTW: Is this the computer that you are also asking about in the motherboard section?

Last edited:
I do think so. I currently own only one mobo, cpu, and paired set of RAM worth talking about in here

P4C800E-D
P42.6C
2x256MB OCZ ELPC4200 288FSB cas2.5 RAM OCZ533512ELDC-K
Enermax EG465P-VE SFC
Zalman CNPS700-Cu
40mm fan on NB MCH
Vantec NXP305BK fan & light ctrlr
4 80mm Stealth 20dB 27cfm SF8025L fans
gold wire & Cr skullXbones80mm fan covers

Last edited:
Back