• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Plat 8500 and the P5W DH Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

I bought the OCZ2N10662GK PC2 8500C5 2x1gb dual channel set from NewEgg hoping to run my memory at 1066 while my plain jane 2x1gb Corsair XMS2 Pro 6400 C5 set wont go past 840.....

Problem is I get hard crashes with the OCZ regardless of voltage even at 840 and 2.3v while the Corsair will run 840 at 2.2v all day long rock solid...

With the OCZ I tried setting everything to Auto to kick in the EPP settings which set 5-6-6-18 and 2.3v ? I tried setting everything manually at the 5-5-5-15 and 2.3v settings OCZ gives on the web site and on the sticks...but it just wont run 1066 regardless of setting.

Knocking it way back to 840 (where the Corsair is a rock) it will last about 10 minutes in gaming and then locks the computer hard and includes a nice electronic squeal just for fun....:bang head

Board has all the usual OCing settings tweaked in the BIOS...EIST and HyperPath3 and all those type settings are disabled. Ive been OCing this board for 6 months now at a mild 3Ghz without any issues... (334*9 and the 5/4 divider is running the ram at 418)

I updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest 2301....previously I was running the 2004 BIOS but the update made no difference, still hard locks.

Anyone have any suggestions ? Has anyone gotten this ram working ? Should I just return it ?

I don't think the memory is the culprit here. Those P5Ws weren't the best OCers. While they were great boards and the 975x is a good performer they just aren't capable of higher FSBs. Most of them are limited to around 460-470 max.

He can OC better with Corsair Ram, and not with OCZ. So it is the RAM problem.

The ram and mobo arent compatible, i had same problem. Its even written on OCZ forums. With my new mobo and same ram, i have no problems.

I don't think the memory is the culprit here. Those P5Ws weren't the best OCers. While they were great boards and the 975x is a good performer they just aren't capable of higher FSBs. Most of them are limited to around 460-470 max.

I guess its what you mean by great. This one will run my E6600 from its default all the way up to 3.6Ghz all day long with proper cooling...might not be bleeding edge but I'm not complaining about the board at all. Besides with all of the extras on this board this thing has been amazing....and it is definetly the ram and not the board, the board is rock solid stable....just not with this memory apparently.

But back to the Ram question. Anyone else that has the P5W DH run into these problems with OCZ ram ?

Back