• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PC2-6400's should I get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I bought a GA-965P-DS3 off the OCF Classies and need a set of 2 x 1 Gigs PC2-6400. It need some good OC RAM that can help get my E6750 go towards 4 G's

Any recommendations (budget < $150)

Well since you already own Crucial tracers, why not those or plain Ballistix?

and i'm kinda scratchin my head wonderin why you are asking cuz it would seem you should already know this Brolloks ;)

Well since you already own Crucial tracers, why not those or plain Ballistix?

and i'm kinda scratchin my head wonderin why you are asking cuz it would seem you should already know this Brolloks ;)

I'm not a RAM guru and have not kept up to the RAM out there, I got the tracers for a bargain, so am happy with it, I think my question is valid Morvak, then not sure why you are questioning my thread:confused:

Please don't take it the wrong way.

I am just saying that I notice in your sig that you have PC2 6400 Ballistix tracer's already, so I was just kinda wondering why you would ask what kind of ram to get when you already have decent ram - especially since you noted they are D9's. And you may not be a RAM guru but from posts I've seen you make you sure seem to be a decent PC guru, so that's all i was getting at, no harm intended! :) (basically your question kinda threw me for a loop)

I'm pretty sure the tracer's are just like regular crucial ballistix's except have extra led's and perhaps better heatspreaders? someone will have to confirm that.

So i recommend Crucial ballistix. I even had 4x1gb's on my 64-bit Vista system and they were stable at 1:1 with a 400 FSB OC.

G.skill's are good too.

And for $150 you can score 4x1gb's with some of the rebates still going on.

Please don't take it the wrong way.

I am just saying that I notice in your sig that you have PC2 6400 Ballistix tracer's already, so I was just kinda wondering why you would ask what kind of ram to get when you already have decent ram - especially since you noted they are D9's. And you may not be a RAM guru but from posts I've seen you make you sure seem to be a decent PC guru, so that's all i was getting at, no harm intended! :) (basically your question kinda threw me for a loop)

I'm pretty sure the tracer's are just like regular crucial ballistix's except have extra led's and perhaps better heatspreaders? someone will have to confirm that.

So i recommend Crucial ballistix. I even had 4x1gb's on my 64-bit Vista system and they were stable at 1:1 with a 400 FSB OC.

G.skill's are good too.

And for $150 you can score 4x1gb's with some of the rebates still going on.

No problem Morvak....

The tracers are the regular balistix with the added light show...Reason for my question origanaly is also 'cause I like to try out new stuff, and I've seen some funky RAM out their like these
but have not used them before?

thanks for the feedback though...:)

Last edited:
well after a bit of testing tonight i can say dont looke at the gskill pc2-6400HK's unless you plan on running them at thier rated speed or a tad higher. while in my case the poor ocing could be the use of 4 1gig sticks at once running ddr2-932 4-4-4-14 @2.2v isnt much to look at. i was hoping for the ram to match my HZ's which they might if i was running just 2gigs instead of 4. still though with 2.3v they should have been able to do ddr2-1118 5-5-5-14 without a problem imo. as reffa has pointed out though these promos based ram is more hit or miss then D9 based ram.

to your question though IMO the only other ddr2-800 kits to look at would be the GSKILL HZ's kits which are also D9 based. i seemed to have gotten a lucky kit imo with them doing ddr2-1118 [email protected].

well after a bit of testing tonight i can say dont looke at the gskill pc2-6400HK's unless you plan on running them at thier rated speed or a tad higher. while in my case the poor ocing could be the use of 4 1gig sticks at once running ddr2-932 4-4-4-14 @2.2v isnt much to look at. i was hoping for the ram to match my HZ's which they might if i was running just 2gigs instead of 4. still though with 2.3v they should have been able to do ddr2-1118 5-5-5-14 without a problem imo. as reffa has pointed out though these promos based ram is more hit or miss then D9 based ram.

to your question though IMO the only other ddr2-800 kits to look at would be the GSKILL HZ's kits which are also D9 based. i seemed to have gotten a lucky kit imo with them doing ddr2-1118 [email protected].

I ended up getting the Ballistix (4 x 512 mb tracers), they sell for $29 a pair AMIR at Tigerdirect, could not resist it:)

Back