• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messing with my memory timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawkins

I read one of the sticky's about memory timings, so I decided to mess with mine.

Here is where I'm at:
memorytimings.jpg

Im wanting to overclock my X2 4200+ a little bit, will those timings help me with that?

Im a complete NooB when it comes to OC'ing, memory timings, etc.

Thanks

Loosening your timings will get you a better overclock, so im guessing, did you change them from 2-2-2-5 or around there, to 3-3-3-7?

Are you running 2x1GB memory modules? If so set the Command rate to 1T (may be referred to CPC in BIOS - set to on). Nice little performace boost.

With timings at 3-4-4-8 you should be able to go over 250MHz on the ram without having to loosen them any more.

This is cool!

I changed the command rate to 1T since I am running 2 x 1GB sticks.

Then I upped the ram frequency to 210MHz and got 2310MHz clock speed.

I just now upped the frequency to 218MHz and I'm at 2400MHz clock speed!

This is my first time ever messing around with OC'ing so I'm pretty excited about that! I have even noticed a tiny difference so far, this is nice!

Well, I just read some more threads about people OC'ing with the same CPU I have (X2 4200+ Toledo) and then I changed some settings and here is what I ended up with:

overclock2.jpg

I'm pretty happy and excited!

What is a good program I can use to check my CPU, GPU, etc. temps?

Thanks

One suggestion, switch from 11 to 10 multiplier and get you ram up to about 260MHz, it ought to be able to do those clocks. Though you likely have to switch RAS to CAS delay to 4, RAS Precharge to 4 and Tras to 8.

Coretemp will give you die temps for your cpu.
Speedfan is good to monitor other temps and fan speed.
I recommend Rivatuner if you have an Nvidia card for OCing and temp monitoring

One suggestion, switch from 11 to 10 multiplier and get you ram up to about 260MHz, it ought to be able to do those clocks. Though you likely have to switch RAS to CAS delay to 4, RAS Precharge to 4 and Tras to 8.

It wont load windows at those settings.

I read somewhere that these CPU's don't like anything other than a 11 multiplier?

I tried the 10 multi with the RAM at 250MHz and it wouldn't boot either. But when I go back to the settings before I tried this, it boots just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton for your help!

Can you give a run down of your components? That would help a ton. Specifically which motherboard you are using.

Sorry, I should have posted that at the beginning.

MOBO: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: X2 4200+ Toledo socket 939
RAM: OCZ Gold DDR500 PC4000 3-4-4-8
GPU: eVGA 6600GT (soon to be a eVGA 8800GTS)
HDD: 36GB WD Raptor
HDD2: RAID1 320GB Seagate 7200.10

Am I forgetting anything? I've been up all night, so it's possible I am forgetting some important component. Haha

Did you lower the hyper transport freq down to 4X? Ideally you want the hyper transport bus at or below 1000MHz. It is derived from the FSB X HT Multiplier. So from 200-250FSB use 4X and from 250 up to 333 use 3X.

Back