• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial PC2-8500 What mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Just picked up a set of these off our classies from wa77s. He was able to get them to 600mhz.

I want to know what mobo(s) I should consider to get the most out of these sticks.

--pak

Are those the ballistix ones? Those are awesome. As for the mobo, it depends on the CPU you want and whether or not you want SLI.

Can't go wrong with the p35's though =]

No need for SLI. As for the proc, Ill probably pick up a 63xx or 64xx because I spent more than I wanted to on memory. And yeah, they are ballistix. Seems like p35>all right now?

--pak

I would suggest that you get a proc with at least an 8 multi so that you don't find your OC possibly limited by the board's FSB limitation.

The Asus P5K (Vanilla) seems to be a good choice once the Vdroop mod is done. Another candidate is the new DFI that comes in the red box...there is a review on it at Madshrimps. Those two, along with the Gigabyte "R" model are all priced in the same $130-150 range and seem to perform well.

I would suggest that you get a proc with at least an 8 multi so that you don't find your OC possibly limited by the board's FSB limitation.

The Asus P5K (Vanilla) seems to be a good choice once the Vdroop mod is done. Another candidate is the new DFI that comes in the red box...there is a review on it at Madshrimps. Those two, along with the Gigabyte "R" model are all priced in the same $130-150 range and seem to perform well.

I am sorry, noob here.

Which procs have 8 multis?

What do you mean when you say vanilla?

red box DFI?

DS3R?

Just wanted to link to make sure. I been eying that ds3r for quite some time now. But I didn't realize that DFI and a comparable board at a competitive price. Been loving my DFI and DFI's support(tech support has become more and more important to me which is kinda why I have strayed away from ASUS) since I have gotten this board. Now that I have seen that DFI, I will probably end up with that one shortly, after I have read a bit more about it and the p5k vanilla.

--pak

The E2160/E6400/E6420/E6750 are all 8 multis, I believe that the Xeon 3210 is also an 8 multi, but am not positive about that.

The vanilla Asus P5K is the non deluxe on the old browinsh looking PCB, as opposed to the black one that the Deluxe and the Premium/Black Pearl uses. One thing that is worth noting for you is that this Asus board has performed well when paired with Crucial Ballistix modules like you just acquired.

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180

Your links, by the way, are to the boards that I mentioned. I honestly think that they would all work well for you and if just boils down to personal taste. Looks wise, I probably prefer the Gigabyte, but I went with the Asus mainly because I've seen good results posted for it and Ballistix. I just recently received it and hope to play with it over the next few weeks...paired with some Ballistix, of course. :D

i would say go for the IP35/E6750 setup or the mobo reefa said with the E6750. im fine with my E6400 but i would snag one of the E6x50's if i were buying now. Im waiting out for Penryn here...

E2160/E6400/E6420/E6750 x3210 are the only ones? Man that has limited my choices by a lot. Probably going to end up with a 6400 if that is the case.

Probably going to see what I can dig up on the listed boards. I really don't want another asus board, but if its a proven performer, I'll have to deal with it. I just hope the board I get has no problems so I don't have to talk to them.

--pak

E2160/E6400/E6420/E6750 x3210 are the only ones? Man that has limited my choices by a lot. Probably going to end up with a 6400 if that is the case.

Probably going to see what I can dig up on the listed boards. I really don't want another asus board, but if its a proven performer, I'll have to deal with it. I just hope the board I get has no problems so I don't have to talk to them.

--pak

no problems...Abit IP35-PRO with imo E6420/E6750. im running a older E6400 B2 stepping, cause of the now in use HK's and 4gig. im at 3.2ghz with 1:1 ratio.

No reason to get an e6400 when the e6420 is the same price w/ twice the cache. Get the e6750 if you have a bit more cash, and want 3.6-3.8GHz 24/7 OC on air...x3210 if you have a little bit more cache, and want quad-core, and 3.5-3.7GHz 24/7 on air.

I got what Eviliser mentioned. The Abit IP35-Pro is on sale at Mwave with rebate its $155, and the E6750 for $200. Or if you want to go the budget route, the Abit IP35-E is $65 after rebate which I bought also because I have enough stuff to build a spare rig I am going to see what i can do with $300 worth of parts. I looked and read every review and every opinion. And for $155, the IP35-Pro is a killer bargain at that price. If money is no object, ignore my rambeling endorsement. Also, I just ordered this pair of crucial ballistix http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148069
because my OCZ PC2-8800 seem to be very picky and I needed a set for my other rig anyhow :)

Abit IP35-Pro seems to be a good motherboard also. My only concern about the "E" version is that the last time I looked, there was only one BIOS update back in May...and it was added one day after the shipping BIOS so it doesn't seem to be getting any support. That may have changed since I last looked. If not, I personally find that to be a negative.

As far as CPUs, if buying new, then surely go for the E6420 or E6750, but if buying "pre-tested", then proven E6400s can be had for $100-$125 and short of the smaller 2MB cache, you're not loosing too much.

reefa it is getting support but becuase its lower end the bios releases are not as high as the PRo board. One thing to remembe abit is not as fast as they use to be at releasing bioses like they use to. since the first bios for all the IP35's support 6x50's we may see one towards the release of penryn cores.

OK, its just that when I looked at that mobo (back when Mwave had it for about $65, after MIR) there was only one update and it was, like I posted above, dated the day after the initial BIOS. At that time two months or so had passed since release and I was concerned that the motherboard was being overlooked by Abit so I opted to pass. If it had not been for that concern, I would have probably grabbed it just to to be able to play with the P35 chipset for cheap. It seems to have enough of a BIOS for decent overclocking...heck, if I remember correctly, Vdimm was right around 3.0v...just in the range that you like, Evilsizer. :)

I'm glad to hear that isn't the case.

Mine should be here any day (My IP35-E) and I will do an complete write up on it, and even compare it next to the pro using the same equipment. My friend who lives 1 town over who always goes for the best cheap stuff has had his a couple weeks now and says it runs great, although on this forum he wouldn't be what we would consider remotely pushing his board or cpu to even the bare minimum of what we here do. I believe he has his E6600 at 3.2, and that was done with almost all stock settings. I am going to see if I can get my old D805 up to 4ghz even if I have to fry it.

I am going to see if I can get my old D805 up to 4ghz even if I have to fry it.

Does the P35 chipset even support a 533 FSB processor like the D805? I thought that they only supported 800/1066/1333 processors.

Back