• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e2140 which motherbaord?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sgt_Pinto

Well my price range is very low. I am one of those overclockers who need to oc a budget pc into a decent one lol.

now at first i was going to go with the p35 s3l ($125 AUD).
Then i thought hey whats the difference betweent he p31 ($105 AUD) and the p35 s3l?
Then after that i found a MSI 965 platinum ($89 AUD).

The most appealing to me is the 965 for $89 I get crossfire which i may find useful later on who knows? But i dunno how well it oc's?

In fact i dunno how any of these boards oc.

HELP please :confused:

the p31 seems to be a lower end p35 chipset missing some features. i havent been able to figure out what though. since the p31 is the only from gigabyte atm, i would stick with either the P35-S3L or P35-DS3L. that msi board has issues from ocing when i read about it Dec./06.

P31 doesnt support ViiV and DDR3, thats all i heard about it.

Note that the P31 Gigabyte board has ICH7 southbridge and therefor only 4 Sata ports. Otoh ICH7 has native IDE suppport, sure beats the jmicron controller used on most ICH8/9 boards. (Im currently trying to figure out how to install openSuse with jmicron, it boots from DVD but install program cant find the DVD, i miss good ol' ICH7R)

p31 as in? does it lack any oc features? i basicaly dont use anything but those features. 4 sata ports is enough to hold my 1 sata hard drive.

with the p31 will i be able to get over 3.0ghz with the e2140 thats sitting in my room (if i got a good one)?

I use the P35-S3L and it is absolutely amazing! If you can, try to get the DS3L, because it comes with better caps. (too bad i didn't know this.)

My E2140 does 2.9ghz with less than stock voltage.

i cant go higher than the p35 s3l however if there are no oc features lacking in the p31 i might as well go with that and give my very low budget some headrooom when chosing a cooler.

Back