• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a DDR3 mobo run DDR2 memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In Short, No. DDR3 mobos only accept DDR3. I believe there are a couple boards out there that are hybrid boards, meaning they take DDR2 OR DDR3... but not mixing them. You're better off right now sitting tight until DDR3 sorts itself out a bit more IMHO. I would only consider DDR3 until after all the quirks are worked out of X38.

In Short, No. DDR3 mobos only accept DDR3. I believe there are a couple boards out there that are hybrid boards, meaning they take DDR2 OR DDR3... but not mixing them. You're better off right now sitting tight until DDR3 sorts itself out a bit more IMHO. I would only consider DDR3 until after all the quirks are worked out of X38.

thank your for the info..

I was just gonna suggest that P5K-C. Great looking board, but only 4 SATA ports iirc.

I think Gigabyte do one also.

just dont up the ddr voltage, one guy on the board using one said it has fried his ram from doing so. i would stick with one or the other, ddr3 right is not showing what we want. to get what we want we need to wait till mid next year.

Back