• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended memory for p5k premium MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

I know this is a memory question, but since it's board-specific, I decided to post it here. I'm somewhat decided on a p5k premium board-what ddr2 memory would be a good choice? I might even put 4 GB in if XP pro can use it, definitely at least 2 GB. I need the highest fsb speeds reasonably possible, as I'm using an e6300. I don't mind spending a fair amount of money on the ram, in other words.

I'll probably end up getting the memory from newegg, as they seem to be the only place I can find that actually has the board. Other places like tankguys and zipzoomfly don't list that board yet.

Hi all,

I know this is a memory question, but since it's board-specific, I decided to post it here. I'm somewhat decided on a p5k premium board-what ddr2 memory would be a good choice? I might even put 4 GB in if XP pro can use it, definitely at least 2 GB. I need the highest fsb speeds reasonably possible, as I'm using an e6300. I don't mind spending a fair amount of money on the ram, in other words.

I'll probably end up getting the memory from newegg, as they seem to be the only place I can find that actually has the board. Other places like tankguys and zipzoomfly don't list that board yet.

Here's what I just bought from a recommendation and this stuff is awesome! I doubt you'll max this stuff out with your 6300. Cheap too!!!
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820146677

I just got the crucial balistix PC2-8500 from the egg at $130 after rebate. I won't have it in the same MB, but I have heard good things about the ballistix and $130 isn't bad for quality ram. I have heard good things about the mushkin as well.

The best deal going these days is the DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix at newegg. $70 AMIR and they will clock to DDR2-1000+. They are D9GMH ICs and they work flawlessly in all of my systems.

I just got the crucial balistix PC2-8500 from the egg at $130 after rebate. I won't have it in the same MB, but I have heard good things about the ballistix and $130 isn't bad for quality ram. I have heard good things about the mushkin as well.

+1 for Balistix.

I hope their better than my ocz pc2-8800...they suck truthfully, at least on my board, maybe just a bad match
dylskee - good luck with the mushkin. I had really good experiences with it in my AMD days. but people have been going on about the ballistix and it was a tad cheaper which meant I could put the funds toward another item. I'm trying to keep this small upgrade as cheap as possible so when the big stuff rolls around I don't have to hear about how much I just spent. You know to women you JUST SPENT the money if its any time in the last year or so.

Last edited:
sofarfrome - Isnt that what I got, but thats for 1 stick of 1G right?

No, you said you got PC2 8500, he is talking about PC2 6400. Right now, very few are able to utilize PC2 8500 with overclocking unless you end up wanting to downclock it and push lower timings.

Let's be really clear here, DDR2-800 = PC2 6400, and DDR2-1066 = PC2 8500, they are just naming conventions.

EDIT: well the PC2 stuff is naming conventions, the DDR2 names are based on the Double Data Rate speeds.

Last edited:
You may be able to get slightly higher RAM speed (at the cost of looser timings), but it has been proven that running a RAM multiplier has little effect on actual performance. Definitely not worth twice or 3 times the price.

Another vote for Ballistix 8500.
Mines running @1200 24/7 with only 2.25v (stock = 2.2v) fantastic stuff.

But if you don't want that go with the lower binned ballstix 6400

my 8500 ballistix should be here any day. I am just hoping its better than the OCZ8800. It's either not as good as they claim or a bad match for my MB.

Last edited:
my 8500 ballistix should be here any day. I am just hoping its better than the OCZ8800. It's either not as good as they claim or a bad match for my MB.

It will.

@ Supershanks, I sure hope it doesn't take you 2.25v to get those to 1200Mhz...

DDR2-800 Ballistix chips can reach 1066 at 2.2v still with slightly looser timings. You shouldn't be recommending those to anyone btw. Unless by some chance your FSB for your CPU is at 600Mhz (which it isn't). Clock your ram back down, try to get to 1:1 ratio with the CPU FSB and lower the timings of the RAM. That is the only place where you might, and a strong might, have a performance boost. Running them at 1200Mhz buys you nothing, other than saying you are running them at that speed. There are no performance gains.

Again, unless you are actually able to achieve a 600FSB on your CPU. Which I assure you, you cannot ;).

1) 9x400@1:1 = 800 4,4,4,12 Bandwidth Read=8037Read 7149Write
9x400@1-1_Eversest.JPG

2) 9x400@2:3 = 1200 5,5,5,12 Bandwidth Read=9686Read 7177Write
9x400@2-3_Everest.JPG

Gives a 20% increase in read write = nil change near enough. assuming 50% read/write ratio givees an overall 10% increase.

I'm unsure why you have an apparent fixation with 1:1 when looking at the p5k. The strap is irrelevent as shown here Asus P5K Deluxe Mainboard: Second Encounter
we can state that the memory subsystem performance is growing almost linearly within 266MHz-460MHz FSB frequency range

It will.

Clock your ram back down, try to get to 1:1 ratio with the CPU FSB and lower the timings of the RAM. That is the only place where you might, and a strong might, have a performance boost. Running them at 1200Mhz buys you nothing, other than saying you are running them at that speed. There are no performance gains.

have you even tried? we have the same board, and i can see measurable differences running my ram faster then 1:1. in mem reads, writes, copys, and latency. im not saying run em at 1200, but useing a divider definately buy you performance. just the fsb alone is worth it.

426x8 4:5 is definately faster then 378x9 1:1 (with lower timeings) or 2:3.

freeagent, I see you have the OCZ Plt with the asus board. I myself have not had good luck with that boards forerunner, the P5B Deluxe with OCZ Plat, but mine is the 8800 version which I think was only sold a short period. How does that ram do in that board and have you tried it in any other before?

i just had some 667 gold, that did ok. this stuff i have now did pretty good with my p5b, i didnt have any problems at all. this board has been pretty good with them too. i get the same numbers mhz wise, but with a lil more jam behind those numbers with this board :)

sorry for the late reply btw

I just spoke to a guy at OCZ and I am sending my ram back, being 8800, maybe its just compatibility issues. I don't know if they will send me faster or slower ram to resolve the issue.

Back