• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to oc with faster ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced

i need some help, i've always been an overclocker. my last computer was a water cooled P4 3.2Ghz pressy running at 4Ghz.... the thing is i never really messed with ram, i would just buy pc3200 and get maybe 10-15mhz out of it and thats it, run a divider and go on. well now i decided to buy some pc4000 so i could run a 1:1 divider to match a high FSB. why isnt it working???

i have a dfi lanparty cfx3200, 4800+ X2 (socket 939) and mushkin redline pc4000 (DDR). now this ram should be 250mhz at default, right? well when i run cpuz it shows up as 200mhz, aka pc3200. right now im running at 2724mhz (12 x 228) which runs fine and passes prime with no problems. when i bump up the ram (11 x 248) the computer wont bootup, but if i run a divider then its fine. why is this happeneing? did i miss something?

EDIT: i just restarted and tried running 10 x 272 which booted up fine, as long as i run a divider. i remember reading a review stating that this board is stable all the way up to 300fsb, so that cant be my problem.

cpuz2.jpg

Last edited:
You may have to loosen the timings to run the RAM faster, or give it more volts. I wouldn't put too much into that SPD table, but those automatic settings may be preventing you from getting the speed you want out of your RAM. Go by the specs listed on the RAM modules or on the Mushkin website, and enter the timings, and voltage manually.

hm, your right. i never even noticed the timmings till now. default timming is 3-3-2-8 and 2.6-2.9v. i know the vdimm is set to 2.67v right now, but the timming is set on auto. i'll reboot and see if the changes make any difference.

errr.... ok, get this. i set the timming to 3-3-2-8 @ 2.67vdimm and when trying to boot at 248 x 11 (2724mhz) at 1:1 which should set the ram at 248mhz it will not boot, it starts loading the desktop and reboots. i tried 3-5-5-10 timming and didnt get any further.

so i dropped the multi to 10 and set the fsb at 272 (2720mhz) and changed the timming to 3-3-3-8 timming i used a memory divider and it booted! im typing this now while the ram is running at 247mhz 3-3-3-8. so what does this show, that it just wont run at 1:1?? im gonna see if i can get it to boot at 250mhz using a divider...

EDIT: ok, now im at 275 x 10 to give me 2750Mhz and running a mem divider my ram is now at 250mhz at 3-3-3-8 timming.

EDIT2: just tried 1:1 again, 11 x 248 with 3-3-3-8 timming and it made it past POST but that was it. whats going on here??

Last edited:
dont know about the 9 multi. the cpu is stable at about 2720mhz so i would guess 300 because 9 x 300 gives me 2700mhz. why would i need to bump up the voltage if 250mhz 3-3-2-8 is the default settings?? i dont understand

im away from the computer for the weekend so i wont be able to try anything else till like tuesday.

i still cant figure this out! i bumped up the voltage which got me no where. i also figured out that even when running a divider, putting the ram at 247mhz it was unstable and would restart the system when running F@H or would throw an error while running orthos.

i tried the 9x multi but it wouldnt boot. come to think about it, i dont know if i lowered the ram divider when i tried that..... hang on, i'll give it another shot.

well, i lowered the ram divideras low as i could, 1:2 and set the fsb/HT to 300 and multi to 9 giving me CPU: 2700mhz RAM: 150mhz and it booted, not sure on stability but it booted with no problem.

Last edited:
Back