• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rethinking motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jheshka

Registered
I'm building a new computer, soon as I buy the parts...

And I'm rethinking my motherboard..

My current motherboard (For the build)
ASUS P5K 147.99$ CAN

Any suggestions for the motherboard?
Also--Haven't really decided on RAM so, DDR/DDR2/DDR3 doesn't really matter to me.

Requirements:
ATX
LGA775 Socket (Duh)
PCI-Express (Duh)
PCI (Duh)
SATA2
LAN
Sound

I agree with the above poster, the P5K is a great board all around, if you plan on going with a Quad in the future I would suggest going with a higer end board like the Deluxe or the Premium though.

I'm actually going with a Quad...

Should I go with the Deluxe? It's quite a bit more... Would it be worth it?

Why does a quad need a better mobo. I have read that quads don't clock as well as dual on certain mobos, but why?

--pak

P965 just doesnt have the GTLreference voltage option needed to help clock quads. that is why P35 based motherboards are clocking the quads alot better. Now we have new steppings of Quads that are ocing alot higher then before.

you really dont need he DLX if the oc your after is in a reasonable range, say like 3.2-3.3ghz. the DLX and other boards are for people who want bragging rights, as well as going for WR's in ocing.

The P35-DS3R has been shown to take quads to 3.6GHz pretty consistently. I like my P5K Premium, but I don't know if it's worth an extra $100. The Voltage Damper option is nice, though.

The thing I like about the DS3R is the price, proven good OCability, and Matrix RAID support.

I'm thinking around overclocking it to about 3.6 - 3.8 on air though.

Should I be concerned about cooling, as well?

Ultra-120-extreme if you're going air. Get the P5K Premium for a better chance of getting 3.6-3.8GHz.

Last edited:
Why does a quad need a better mobo. I have read that quads don't clock as well as dual on certain mobos, but why?

--pak

The higher end P35 boards have 8 and 12 phase power. It is important to make these quads OC higher. And by the way, you will need a higher end PSU to run with these boards too.

I would suggest if you go high end, to just get the Premium, the $ difference between Deluxe and Premium makes the Deluxe a silly buy now.

So..

Conclusion: Cough up the extra dough and get the P5K Premium

Correct?

Back