• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BallistiX with AS5!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th3

...is a bad and utterly stupid idea :D

Wasnt really trying to put AS5, it died a few days ago and since i had rewritten some SPD settings it wouldnt be very honest of me to try to RMA it. Its only 512MB 667MHz anyway, with the old type heatspreader, but did great till its last breath, just last week i had it running 1233MHz/6-6-6-18 Orthos blend stable for a few minutes.

As one can see, 5 of 8 ICs snapped right off, the pins stayed in the pcb, thats a helluva glue Crucial used there. This little surgery confirmed its D9GMH, i had expected that much since this stick took over for a set of Corsair 5400ULs back when i bought it, the ULs never had a chance to keep up.

Attachments

• img_1220-crop25.jpg
    img_1220-crop25.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 264
Wow you just tried to yank the heatspreader off whole? I've removed heatspreaders once or twice and it can be tricky but as long as you're careful and take it slow it shouldn't pull the Ram chips off :eek: Need to start at one end and use a blade to slowly tease the adhesive off of each chip as you go.

Just removed the heatspreader, nice and careful, the glue is REALLY strong :) As you can see theres no damages to the heatspreader from tools, but ofcourse i had to use a not-so-small amount of force. The pins didnt go deep in the packaging material of the ICs, not so strange the glue won the battle with 5 to 3.

Found an old thread about someone wanting to remove the heatspreaders on BallistiX, hope he didnt:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=408315

Edit: Yes MadMan, all at once. It came off for sure. Razorblade? Sounds boring, blades and blood however could be interesting enough :D

Thats the problem with thermal tape and some pastes. Ive ruined my 4800+ because the AS5 turned to epoxy and when I took the cpu waterblock the cpu came with it.

I have popped SKT 478 and 939 chips out of the socket with AS5 on them. It is actually more suction than adhesive. It is the silver particles doing their job and binding the two metals together.

i find it easier to remvoe components that are bonded with as5 by twisting it off
Yup, I do the same.

I know AS5 has adhesive properties when it's been on a chip for a while, especially when there was good pressure and contact, but just twist the heatsink and it comes clean off.

Yup, I do the same.

I know AS5 has adhesive properties when it's been on a chip for a while, especially when there was good pressure and contact, but just twist the heatsink and it comes clean off.

Those chips weren't bonded by AS5, they were bonded by the glue that Crucial uses on the Ballistix. As I understand it, the OP was joking about taking the heatspreaders off so he could apply AS5 on the ICs. Instead the sticks died of high voltage and he ripped the hs off to see the ICs.

If you hadn't flashed the SPD I would have RMA'd it, I sent Crucial an email about the Ballistix warranty and the reply was that they would replace overvolted sticks as they had no way of testing what volts they were run at.

Back