• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer locks during gameing?? HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jetster220

Hi, my compuer has been running fine at the rated speeds in my sig for a few months, but just recently began locking up for no apparent reason. I have already ruled out the PSU as a problem as its already been replaced, and the CPU is Prime95 stable. The only other thing I can think of is that my ram is going south and causing it to lock up. Any other opinions???

Hmm, could be, have you run memtest on each stick to rule out the ram? I was gonna suggest vcore, but you mentioned the chip is prime stable.

Hmm, could be, have you run memtest on each stick to rule out the ram? I was gonna suggest vcore, but you mentioned the chip is prime stable.

Neb,

I agree. I keep a boot floppy in the drive all the time. At any sign that something is acting squirrely, I boot from it and run three or four full passes. If it passes, then I start swearing! :)

Thanks guys. I went ahead and RMA'd back to Gskill, lifetime warranty might as well. Pretty sure its the problem though.

No one suggested PSU or video card?

Thideras,

I think a couple quick passes with Memtest from a boot floppy is the quickest way to eliminate a memory problem and perhaps step one. If it passed, then on to something else.

Thideras,

I think a couple quick passes with Memtest from a boot floppy is the quickest way to eliminate a memory problem and perhaps step one. If it passed, then on to something else.
Did he do memtest though? I don't see where he did :confused:

He probably did and I missed it :p

I hope so, otherwise it's probably the same problem again and not the RAMs.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew for a fact what part it was before sending it in. I would be mad if I sent in a part and it turned out to be something else. :)

I would advise reinstalling your Nvidia chipset driver and display driver, i know it doesnt realy make sense but it worked for me before.

Also i have had the same problem with my pc lately but it also happens when i watch series or movies for some time (runs +- 2hours) then it locks.

I had a funny feeling from the start that it was my ram and i tried messing with the timings and voltages and just ended up confusing myself because it created more questions than answers. Knowing my Vcore should be fine (although increasing it did produce better stability) i said screw it and set 5-5-5-15 and JUMPED the Volts to 2.17.

And played around some CS and series and has not frozen ...... yet.

But it is a good idea to eliminate problems one by one. so first Make sure that chipset and display drivers are up to date and running, then since you tested cpu it kinda only leaves the RAM but i bought value ram and was trying to OC it so i kinda knew where the fault lied.

Back