• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best P35 mobo for g0dM@n

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I need to know... ASAP... by tomorrow night I wanna order a new mobo to replace my Abit QuadGT (I'm giving it to my lil bro).

Since Johan pointed it out... I DO NEED ICH9R, as I've 3 HDDs i'm going to keep as my raid0 raid5 matrix.

just a couple i looked at:
DFI Infinity P35 (only cuz I like DFI and it's new)
ASUS P5K WS
ASUS P5K Premium
ASUS P5k Deluvxe
ASUS P5K64 WS
Abit IP35 Pro

what's with all the diff p35 asus... wow... just being lazy right now i guess... if no one wants to break it down i'll take a look when i have time.

just wanna know what you ppl think... most of you know i like to sometimes go nuts w/OCing... also, i've planned to go quad sometime in the future, could be close, but i wanna be prepared for some pwnage.

my quadgt held me back a LOT on my ram... i don't wanna be board limited again. my e6400 can kick major butt, and i know my ram can do more but i've been limited with this abit quadgt.
thx in advance.

Last edited:
Um...ok. I really like my P5K Deluxe. The Premium is supposed to be a little better. If you have no need for the ICH9R, you can get the regular P5K. On more of a budget, the Gigabyte P35-DS3R is very popular and has a lot of features. A lot of people recommend the Abit IP-35 as well.

Asus p5k premium should be good, considering that it does not have vdroop. Reading some user reviews it looks like it may have problems with hard drives or maybe it is user fault.

There is abit ip35 pro has vdroop.

how bad is vdroop on the abit?

and just edited that i do in fact need ichr9

p5k premium

i knew you'd be in here to tell me to get the most expensive... but i'm not holdin back this time... i was very upset when the chipset on my quadgt held back my ram.... i have so much d9gmh to play with too

I'd love for you to give the DFI board a shot. From what I have found on it, which hasn't been much, should do 550.

--pak

I'd love for you to give the DFI board a shot. From what I have found on it, which hasn't been much, should do 550.

--pak

Personally, I'd love to never touch a DFI product again. :D I've had a horrible experience with their boards, including RMA'ing the same board three or four times.

Edit: If you're curious about all the Asus P5K's, you can read a little here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=525350 . If you want DDR2 and ICH9R, all you should look at are the P5K-Premium and the P5K-E. Boards like the P5K-WS have 64-bit PCI slots and all kinds of other weird stuff.

I like my P5K Prem but of course I haven't tried tons of mobos. As far as the RAID goes there is some kind of issue with the ICH9R on this particular board and drives from some different manufacturers. Who knows where the fault lies. It does not seem to affect Seagate drives nearly as much if at all though so shouldn't be a problem for you.

Don't bother with the WS versions, the Prem oc's as well or better, the WS versions are really only if you have PCI-X != PCI-E expansion cards (mainly RAID cards afaik.) Although I will admit the first one you linked has a better slot layout than the regular P5Ks :( The most expensive would really be the Asus Blitz extreme anyway :p Doesn't seem like you want to wait a short while for x38 boards?

I love my Abit IP35 Pro :) Works awesome, good overclocker. Does have a vDroop problem, especially when you plug in fans to the mobo headers. Though it is easily remedied by applying a simple vdroop mod.

The layout is great, 3 PCI Slots, 2 PCI-e x16 (1 electrically x4), and a PCI-e x1 slot. Comes with a cool dual USB/firewire pci backplate. Right angle SATA connectors, plenty of room. BIOSes need a little bit of work, though they are consistently releasing new ones, lots of betas.

It's also considerably cheaper than the ASUS P5K Deluxe and premium. About $40-$50 dollars difference, which is one of the main reasons I got it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

okay, i'm going to just tally up what ppl tell me and read some reviews in the meantime. i really appreciate the input!!! :)

Chuck one up for another P5K Premium vote =]

The only issue I've had with this board was that I had to loosen the timings on the ddr2 1066 ram for it to POST properly. Because it was giving me "overclock failed" message thingiemajiggie.

P5K Premium here too. However, if you want to save some $$$ get the Abit. Mine did 550FSB with little effort. I liked it so much I ordered another one as a back up for my current Asus boards. The DFI is very good I hear but at $300 I would like it to make me coffee in the AM too.

I think we are talking about this DFI mobo, $140, not this DFI mobo $300

Green>Red any day IMHO. But if you are considering that one Godman, I am going to continue to make accounts and keep voting on that one. That board is doing 600+ FSB.

--pak

christ... $300 mobo? i don't think i've eve seen one that freakin expensive!!! though it looks beautiful... is that onboard sound extremely good? cuz if it is, i could sell m x-fi (though i really like the front panel).

I can't believe it's $300... jeez. And why would anyone need 600FSB?? Maybe if I was going for the X3210...

From what I've read the high FSB speeds reached on the greeen DFI were w/ cherry-picked CPUs, and if your CPU is hitting a FSB wall in the P5K Premium then it will hit the same wall w/ the green DFI. Since you have Seagate HDDs I think the Premium is your best bet. If you want to save some cash, and do a little modding to cool your PWMs and counter-act Vdroop get the DS3R, or red DFI (I actually don't know if the red DFI has a Vdroop issue, though).

Although, since your system is very nice as it is, I think you should wait for X38.

Although, since your system is very nice as it is, I think you should wait for X38.

Shows you how little I know... what's that? =/ I haven't been reading much lately.

The only reason I was thinking of picking up a new mobo was to give my little bro my current board... I could always just keep my rig and get him a diff board, but figured this was a chance for me to upgrade... I was gonna get him a cheap mobo, but was willing to give mine...

Back