• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moderate Q6600 overclock with P35-DS3r

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnysd

Registered
Just got a P35-DS3R motherboard, 2FB Crucial Ballistix memory and G0 Q6600. I have always been a stock speed guy, but have got this to do some overclocking to make the upgrade worth it. I am not changing my video card it will stay a x1900xt(HR-03), which to be honest, is still pretty fast and should respond well to the increased speed of the motherboard. Plus I want to upgrade but realize I should wait for the video card refresh and 10.1 support in Nov/Dec

Having said that I just want to do a safe, easy and stable "no brainer" overclock. I do have a Thermalright Ultima 90 with Scythe 120 F series fan that I will be using for cooling the chips.

I would like to get advice on the best way to approach a conservative overclock. I am assuming that 3.0Ghz should be fairly conservative with this motherboard on air.

So would I set FSB to 356, use the X9 multiplier and slightly underclock the memory at DDR-712? Safe at stock core voltage?

Or are there better settings. I would prefer not to mess much with voltages and all the testing, just do something simple safe and "out of the box" if that makes sense. Maybe not in the true spirit of OC Forums and I apologize, but it should be good enough for me, and a big updrade from X2 4200+.

Look forward to hearing people's advice and recommendations. There does not seem to be much on conservative type overclocking methodology.

Thanks in advance.

what kind of ram did you get? not the brand, but what speed? ddr2-800?

try FSB 400 x 8 on stock volts, i'm running 400x8 atm on my p35c-ds3r at 1.35v with a u120 + antec 2000rpm fan

what kind of ram did you get? not the brand, but what speed? ddr2-800?

try FSB 400 x 8 on stock volts, i'm running 400x8 atm on my p35c-ds3r at 1.35v with a u120 + antec 2000rpm fan

Yes, I got DDR2-800. 400x8 is not too aggressive?

I found it hard not to hit 334x9 (3GHZ) however, going up from there required large voltage jumps. Part of my problem is my HSF mount needs redone, and I got the bad luck of the draw on the IHS/HSF not being flat at all...I've just been too lazy to fix it.

I think it'd be hard not to hit 3ghz. You could just change it to 334x9 and leave all other settings alone and it'd do just fine. Easies OC I've done.

I found it hard not to hit 334x9 (3GHZ) however, going up from there required large voltage jumps. Part of my problem is my HSF mount needs redone, and I got the bad luck of the draw on the IHS/HSF not being flat at all...I've just been too lazy to fix it.

I think it'd be hard not to hit 3ghz. You could just change it to 334x9 and leave all other settings alone and it'd do just fine. Easies OC I've done.

You have not tried 8x400 to keep the 1:1 memory ratio? It would seem that 8x400 might be as easy on the processor as 334x9. That is what the previous poster recommended.

i run 333x9 with my ram at ddr1200 (600Mhz) and i dropped my ram .1 volt to get there. cpu is on stock volts. Actualy runs 3.1 on stock volts, but the voltage jump is pritty big to go to a higher overclock.

You have not tried 8x400 to keep the 1:1 memory ratio? It would seem that 8x400 might be as easy on the processor as 334x9. That is what the previous poster recommended.

I haven't tried, but that'd be 3.2ghz and I can't do that yet. My case cooling is not good, I have a bad HSF mount, and my HSF/IHS are not flat. I've a lot going against me atm.

Back