• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very Simple Question, Feel free to laugh at me if you give me an answer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minus19

Registered
Hi, I have a mobo [model in sig] thats only rated at 1066. I can push the FSB to exactly 1203fsb before windows becomes unstable, its 100& stable before this point.

The heat temps are fine, I've played with different volatges and 5-5-5 memory timings. I can set any mem and fsb speed as I have a nForce 4 board, so it's not PCI freq's either.

Why is this, is the just the limit of my board? Or am I overlooking something else, I feel I can push my E2140 to around 2.8-3ghz but I reach that number and nothing will seem to stop it freezing about 5 secs after windows loads.

BTW, which rails does my cpu run off, is it 3.3v?

It would be nice to find a solution but come december i'll be getting a Q6600 G0 and i'll be buying this either before or after

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product...+nForce+650i&seriesId=989307&productId=989811

Thanks

Have you updated the bios recently? That may help as it sounds like a limit of the board somewhere. You may also want to update the chipset drivers.

I havn't updated the bios, there's an update availble too. My bios is dated oct 2006 so maybe I should update it now, i'll post back and let everyone know if it makes a difference.

My chipset drivers are up to date as far as I know.

Don't get that board. Go w/ a P35 chipset board, or the new revision 680i boards if you "must" have SLI. By December X38 boards will be out too (nVidia may have a newer solution as well), so you have some decisions to make.

It was a cheapy yes. It looks like my limit is reached.

Anway, i'm going to get a q6600 g0 around december time. I have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with:

A: Do you think it will be worth buying another x1950pro to run in crossfire? (with dx10 looming)

B: If not, is this a fair board for oc'ing a q6600 g0 http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product...+nForce+650i&seriesId=989307&productId=989811
It's a NVIDIA nForce 650i if you don't want to click the link.

C: Or should I dig deeper in my pocket for a mobo, my max budget would be $200 or 100GBP

Thanks for the info. ;)

A: no...sell it, and buy a new card when you're ready to upgrade.

B: Don't get that board. Go for a P35 chipset, or 680i (make sure to get the newer revision and plan on doing a pencil mod) if you plan on running SLI. Don't think of SLI as something you will do next year. If you're going to wait to buy a 2nd card then don't. Just sell your card when you're ready to upgrade.

C: For $200 you can get an excellent P35 MoBo. I'm not sure what the 680i boards cost, though. Take a look at these.

I don't know if you can get NewEgg in the UK, but it's a good reference none-the-less.

Then around December time get your self a new Mobo as well. And that time a good P35 mobo will cost you under $180 quid.

Dont waste any more money on another VGA card, sell yours, and get your self a true DX10 card.

By December time, prices would have dropped a good 10-15% on many things and you should have enough money saved up for a really nice new system. But buy it after new years, and not before X-Mas. Prices drop a great deal after New Years, and they they go up before X-Mas.

Back