• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x512MB vs 2x1GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I know fewer dimms are always preferable but how much of a difference does it make? I'm mainly looking at BH-5 with about 3.1v. My current pair has tested stable up to 240MHz+ 2-2-2-5 and I'm thinking of adding another gig. With my current setup I only run at 225MHz so there's some headroom, if I were to get another decent set of BH-5 do you think 225 2-2-2-5 would be doable with four sticks?

Here's the relevant info from my setup (and what I plan to change):

Opty 146 @ 2.7Ghz (plan to up to Opty 165 @ ~2.8)
2x512MB BH-5 (thinking of 4x512MB)
AsRock 939 Dual SATA2

Thanks,

--Illah

More then likely you'll need to turn off Command Per Clock if you occupy all four DIMM slots. I'm not certain that rule applies to your Asrock board, but I know it applies to nforce 4 motherboards.

You'd pretty much have to try it and see but as you say 2x1GB would be better

2x1 would be better, but it depends on if you need that last fraction of a second in SuperPI or not. :)

With 4x512, you'll have to go to 2T in your timings. 2x1gb @ 1T will net you a couple tenths in the SuperPI 1M, so for larger files the faster access times will become more apparent, less apparent at smaller files. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Back