• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86+ v1.70 locks up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomMe

Registered
Hi guys,

A few days ago I bought a refurbished HP Pavilion DV5137 laptop and I started testing it as soon as I could. I've noticed that when I first ran Memtest86+ v1.70, the program just locked up after a few minutes (I took a photo of this). This was during Test #4. The WallTime and test progress just stopped, but the cursor was still flashing. So the program was still running, but the tests hung. Pushing buttons didn't do anything either, I had to reset.

After that I tried to replicate the problem without luck. I ran Memtest86+ v1.65 for 30 passes, no errors. 3DMark2001SE, 03, 05, 06 4 loops + demo no errors. Currently I'm running Prime95 blend, so far for 20 hours..no problems either. Even tested a few games, ok too.

I'm not sure what to think here. Could there be a problem with the laptop, or was it perhaps a bug in Memtest86+?

And of course, :welcome: to OCF!

Thanks! :D Though I seem to recall I've posted here before.

Here are some of the pictures I took when the problem occured: link 1, link 2. Notice that in the first picture there is no red plus sign next to "Memtest86", and in the second picture there is. So the plus sign is spinning, and the program still running. Is this normal behaviour when Memtest86+ freezes?

I tested the CD in Nero CD-Speed, I also compared the code of the CD to the code of the ISO image. No problems there. I'll take a screenshot of CPU-Z as soon as I can.

I've done some more testing with Memtest86+ v1.70 for hours on end, without any problems. So I guess it must have been a random thing. HP is going to pick up the laptop this week to repair its screen and I've asked them to take a look at the memory anyway. Thanks for the help guys. :)

Back