• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Kingston having me on???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pascalbrown

I bought some Kingston Hyper-X PC2-8500 ram a few months ago, and the first set worked wonderfully at 1066MHz for a month or two. Then one day I woke up to find my computer wouldn't post, no bleeps, nothing. Having reset the board I found the ram to be the problem. I don't know what happened to it, but I sent it back and got a replacement. The second set wouldn't boot at 1066MHz, but they would boot at 1000MHz. However, they were not stable at all at 1000MHz. At 800MHz they were stable, but I didn't pay for PC-8500 only to run at 800MHz. So, I sent this second set back and received a third. Guess what??? They won't post at 1066MHz either. I finally got so fed up with this I contacted Kingston Europe with screenshots of memtest producing errors and a full detailed explanation of what was going on.

The reply I got was the following;

"Please note that we do not support the KHX8500D2K2/2G with the Asus P5B-E Plus.

We support up to KHX6400D2LLK2/2G. "

So now I am being told they don't support it, which isn't to say it can't work, it's just their way out of a problem. I would like to point this out to anyone else who is thinking of buying Kingston. I'm not telling you to avoid Kingston, but look at the facts. I am sure there are people on this forum running memory at more than 800MHz on a P5B-E plus??? If so, please post on here what memory you are running and at what speed as I am going to have to sell this Kingston ram and buy something decent. Finally, are the P5B-E Plus and the P5B deluxe or P5k entirely different in this respect?

I bought some Kingston Hyper-X PC2-8500 ram a few months ago, and the first set worked wonderfully at 1066MHz for a month or two. Then one day I woke up to find my computer wouldn't post, no bleeps, nothing. Having reset the board I found the ram to be the problem. I don't know what happened to it, but I sent it back and got a replacement. The second set wouldn't boot at 1066MHz, but they would boot at 1000MHz. However, they were not stable at all at 1000MHz. At 800MHz they were stable, but I didn't pay for PC-8500 only to run at 800MHz. So, I sent this second set back and received a third. Guess what??? They won't post at 1066MHz either. I finally got so fed up with this I contacted Kingston Europe with screenshots of memtest producing errors and a full detailed explanation of what was going on.

The reply I got was the following;

"Please note that we do not support the KHX8500D2K2/2G with the Asus P5B-E Plus.

We support up to KHX6400D2LLK2/2G. "

So now I am being told they don't support it, which isn't to say it can't work, it's just their way out of a problem. I would like to point this out to anyone else who is thinking of buying Kingston. I'm not telling you to avoid Kingston, but look at the facts. I am sure there are people on this forum running memory at more than 800MHz on a P5B-E plus??? If so, please post on here what memory you are running and at what speed as I am going to have to sell this Kingston ram and buy something decent. Finally, are the P5B-E Plus and the P5B deluxe or P5k entirely different in this respect?

While kingston do enjoy a good reputation, I myself have never had much good luck with HyperX ram from kingston. Just my experience....I gave away my last PC4000 set becuase they wouldn't work well at stock in my 939 setup...I know others will say differently ...but I avoid kingston these days.

I really like corsair ram these days, especially with ASUS motherboards...seem to work great together.

Sorry you are having such a rough time with the sticks and your setup.

LOL dude the memory can handle it the MB cannot, your MB supports up till 800 and thus i can see why kingston say that.

Sure it ran BEFORE but we all know with PC's unless you hit it just perfect at the build ,things deteriorate fast.

So im gessing if you get a MB that supports 1066 it will run Fine

LOL dude the memory can handle it the MB cannot, your MB supports up till 800 and thus i can see why kingston say that.
Those MOBOs clock memory very well. If the rest of the system and the memory is up to par, then a 965 board should easily run 1066.

In terms of timings and volts I have tried a number of things. I have set both to auto, no good. I have set the timings to "determine by SPD" and tried voltage of 2.15, 2.25, 2.3, and even 2.35. None of them worked. Then I tried settings all the timings myself (rather loose I may add!) and went through all the voltages again. Once again, 1066 didn't boot. I even tried achieving 1066MHz at all the multipliers available, ie. 6-9. I thought that might make a difference, something to do with straps etc, but no. I can only try these in a different motherboard. The risk now becomes do I buy another motherboard only to find they don't work, or do I just buy some different PC-8500 ram and hope that works.

If anyone has suggestions for timings/volts I'm all ears.

should? Unfortunately the reality is that they don't. Time to make some hard decisions.

Hello. I see you have finally gotten your RAM to run at the rated speeds (and above for that fact). How did you do this? I have the P5B Deluxe and I cannot get it to fully load Windows when I set the RAM to 1066 (no OC on the CPU or MB).

The best I have been able to do is get the RAM running between 900 - 1000 where it seems to give me the best Sandra scores. Right now, I have the timings set to SPD (for testing) and the speed is 960. This is putting out about 7200/7200 (but now it says 6200/6200 ... uhg) in the Sandra buffered test. The timings are 4-4-4-11 as per SPD @ 400 mhz.

When I have been able to get the RAM to at least boot Windows past 1000 the performance drops like a rock and the system is not stable.

In the past I was running OCZ PC2-8500 but they keep dying on me so I gave up and purchased a set of the Kingston RAM because it was suppose to be tested with the P5Bs...guess not. (Last time I stray from Corsair or Crucial.)

Anyhow, could you shed some light on what you did?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited:
Back