• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like some advice on picking memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JorisS

Hi all,

I'm working on putting together a Intel rig now, as I've decided to sell my X2 4800+ s939 stuff.

I've got the motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6. Working on processor, but still quite confused with respect to memory.

I'm going to try and engage in some overclocking, since the stuff I'm buying/looking to buy simply was meant for it :p

Using Asetek Waterchill Xternal for cooling, in a Thermaltake Kandalf chassis.

Now to the question:

The memory is still a problem, been reading good about the Crucial Ballistix 2 Gb kits which seemingly have those popular D9GMH chips. Just checking Newegg they also got some Crucial Ballistix Tracer which appear nice, but don't know about those chips and if they're as good for clocking...

But I've also been offered a pair of Corsair Dominator DDR2 2 x 1GB Modules, PC2-6400 CAS4, XMS2, 800MHz (MPN TWIN2X20486400 )? Those look cool but are they any good?

Should I go for PC8500 or save the money and get PC6400 and clock them?

Hoping for some light in the darkness...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?ATT=20146565&CMP=AFC-SlickDeals&Item=N82E16820146565

Best deal on the internet: $69.99 after $40 mail-in rebate.

It says 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v... but that's a damned lie :)

I can probably get 4-4-4-12 at 400FSB around 1.8-2v I'm currently running 4-4-3-5 @ 2.1v. (and according to Gautam I can get 3-3-3-12 @ 2.3v "e-z" ;) )

I've gone all the way up to 3.6ghz @ 4-4-4-12 on 2.1v By the time I actually hit 2.2v I'll probably be all the way up at DDR21200.

All that for 69.99

Unfortunately I'm located in Sweden.... otherwise I'd go for those straight off. Trying to think whether I have any contacts in USA, good enough so that I could perhaps get them to help me on this. But it's a bit of a hassle with the mail-in-rebate I reckon...

If not considering the offers and best prices (in USA), are those Crucial DDR2's simply the way to go, or are others equally good or better? If I know roughly which memories to look out for, I can check what best prices I can find here in Sweden after.

Cheers!

Unfortunately I'm located in Sweden.... otherwise I'd go for those straight off. Trying to think whether I have any contacts in USA, good enough so that I could perhaps get them to help me on this. But it's a bit of a hassle with the mail-in-rebate I reckon...

If not considering the offers and best prices (in USA), are those Crucial DDR2's simply the way to go, or are others equally good or better? If I know roughly which memories to look out for, I can check what best prices I can find here in Sweden after.

Cheers!

There's a thread in the Cyber Deals section (about G.Skills for $89) that covers some of the best memory.

Basically any of the Crucial Ballistix (6400 or 8500) are good. Then you have the G.Skill HKs. Not AS good, but cheap. The G.Skill D9s are the HZs. Any D9 chip should give you the magical powers that I have. I don't even know if your processor will even do FSB600... but if it does, the D9s will get you there, regardless of whether you get the 6400 or 8500.

Just checked, Komplett has store in Sweden (where in Europe dont they have stores nowadays..), http://www.komplett.se, 1149SEK for those BallistiX.

I dont know why you consider to buy from the States, what if you need to RMA something? Doesnt Sweden also have that law about returning products bought online with no questions asked? Ref your post about getting a G0 Quad, order from Komplett or something and you can just return it if its a B3, you can even open it and use it for a while before returning it and still get a full refund. In Norway and maybe also Denmark, you even get the shipping expenses refunded, Scandinavia is just great when it comes to consumer rights, but the same strict laws also accounts for higher prices so it can be discussed just HOW great it is... :)

hehe well yeah we do have some kind of 'ångerrätt' which means you can get a refund or such. But me being Dutch and living here in Sweden I don't exactly know the rules :bday:

I think I would be paying shipping though... so it's not really an option to keep on sending back until I get a G0 ;)

I'm mostly confused cause I'm getting VERY different advices concerning whether to buy PC6400 or PC8500 (or higher) memory.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
CPU: E6750/6850 or Q6600 or similar, most likely
Memory: :confused:

Some say I can clock PC6400, others say it's better to go 1:1 with PC8500...

arrrrrrrrrrr :drool:

Back