• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x1gb and command rates..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryboto

I want to take advantage of the current drop in RAM prices, but only if it's advantageous to performance. I am thinking of purchasing a second set of Crucial DDR2-800 2x1gb in addition to an identical set I already own. Am I to understand that for AM2 systems, with 4 dimms, a command rate of 2T is required? If so, would I see a large performance difference between 2x1gb at 1T, versus 4x1gb at 2T?

Just a side note, I am using a 64bit operating system. I want to make this decision soon, because of rebate expirations, and because I fear that the RAM prices will climb again towards the holidays, and who knows how long it will take for them to drop to where they are now.

I think its impossible to hit 1T with 4 sticks. It does do a bit of a large performance increase, but if u want, just overclock your ram speed and that should prove to be better.

Well, what's the difference between using a 2t vs a 1t compared to using CAS 4 vs CAS 5? Most of the 2x2gb kits are CAS 5, only the Mushkin has a CAS 4, and that's ridiculously expensive. So, it's either 4x1gb with 2t, or 2x2gb with a higher CAS. What would be more detrimental to performance?

I think its impossible to hit 1T with 4 sticks. It does do a bit of a large performance increase, but if u want, just overclock your ram speed and that should prove to be better.

1t is very doable with 4x1gb and a 680i chipset.the gains arent exactly overwhelming tho.

ideally you would like the best of both but tbh i havent noticed much of a difference running 3-3-3-10 1t vs 4-4-4-12 2t or even 5-5-5-15 2t.im on a intel rig tho.so you may in fact get a more noticable boost from running tight timings and 1t vs 2t.its really just a matter of finding the sweetspot for your chipset tbh.

Back