• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good overclocking G33 motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My thoughts on Gigabyte G33M-S2H with a Pentium E2140:
ok OC for a mATX, and nice price for DVI+HDMI. Theres a FSB wall at ~375MHz, dont know yet if its CPU or mainboard. Tried with both PCI and PCIe screencards to assure it wasnt the onboard graphics that caused the wall
Still havent tried with an FSB1066 CPU, that might overcome the FSB wall.

I would not recommend this board for anything else than HTPC using the onboard graphics, seems like the somewhat special circumstances around the IGP with its HDMI/DVI/HDCP has eaten up the PCIe lanes, it only supports x4 electrical in the PCIe x16 slot, that kinda ruins the upgrade path to higher end graphics.

G33-DS2R has full x16, could be a better board in other ways too.

Gigibyte
G33-S2
G33-DS2R

Asus P5K-VM

about the only three i can think of with good ocing features but still dont expect them to clock like atx boards.

I'd like to know too. Just put together a Folding box with a Quad Q6600 GO with an ECS G31T-M
Northbridge: Intel G31 & Southbridge: Intel ICH7 with VGA Intel GMA 3100.

It only lets you increase FSB and NO voltage adjustments whatsoever. I got it up to 285FSB from 266. Big Whoppie. What did I expect.

I'd like a mobo with quad support, integrated video solution and mild over clocking for my Quad to around 3ghz on air with voltage adjustment options on CPU, Ram and NB.

I had just returned to Fry's the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L because it wouldn't boot at all with my Quad. Saw the ECS for cheap with integrated 3100 and without thinking bought it. Back to fry's today to exchange for a good overclocking G31 or G33 solution.

A DS2R won't be great with a quad. 3GHz shouldn't be much.

Well overclocking + ECS don't match.

well if the G31 supports 1333fsb you can pad mod the cpu. alot of people have done that with ECS/fry's combo's. this mod would be the along the same lines as pad modding from 800fsb to 1066. i wouldnt return the board just yet my friend.

Evilsizer

I wasn't aware of pad modding. great thanks. As you can see I usually buy good mobos for overclocking but I wanted to limit my Mobo costs for a folding box and spend more money on the best folding CPU for high PPD.

I'm going to pad mod the Q6600 for 1333 fsb to get it to 3ghz and maybe a Volt pad mod for better stability. kool thanks man. :beer:

Evilsizer

I wasn't aware of pad modding. great thanks. As you can see I usually buy good mobos for overclocking but I wanted to limit my Mobo costs for a folding box and spend more money on the best folding CPU for high PPD.

I'm going to pad mod the Q6600 for 1333 fsb to get it to 3ghz and maybe a Volt pad mod for better stability. kool thanks man. :beer:

check out the 1333fsb pad mod sticky.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=499340

pad modding would be just like pin modding but without the use of wire from pin to pin. since the cpu just has "pads" or flat contacts, you can use a silver pen but scrape of the slight clear coating after it drys. imo a better way to do the pad moding is to use a window defrogger kit.

Everthing worked out great pad modding my Q6600 GO with a radioshack conductive ink pen. The little ECS G31T-M mobo at first protested on first boot up warning me that this CPU was a 266FSB device and that I might have reduce performance at 333mhz. Do I want to continue Y or shut down N. muhaha Y! Booted into Vista x64 no problems and folding at 3ghz all 4 cores at default 1.2v core.

Funny how hypocritical ECS's Bios engineering is. I could never get the FSB higher than 285 without freezing at reboot and a little 1333fsb foolery and all of a sudden the mobo is a little 333fsb champ :) http://www.comseven.com/product/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=1

I'm a happy camper thanks Evilsizer thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I certainly would of spent more money for nothing :bday:

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just bought the Fry's deal (Q6600 + ECS G31T-M). When I check with cpuz, w/o overclock, it always show:
Core Speed: 1596.4MHz
Multiplier: x6.0
Bus Speed: 266MHz
Rated FSB: 1064.1MHz

After I overclock it (by changing the speed to 333MHz), the cpuz shows these:
Core Speed: 1987.2MHz
Multiplier: x6.0
Bus Speed: 331.2MHz
Rated FSB: 1324.8MHz

I was thinking that since this is Q6600, which run at 2.4GHz, isn't the default multiplier should be "9" so that "9x266=2.4GHz"? There is no way I can change the multiplier in the BIOS. Anybody here that can give me some help? Thanks.

Thanks for your time and help.

That's Speedstep dropping the multiplier down to 6x to save power. Run a program like Prime95 and you'll see the CPU go to it's full speed.

Thanks MadMan007 for your advise. I just check with the system properties (Control Panel -> System -> System Properties) and it shows that I'm running at 2.98GHz, which is the correct speed (since I overclocked the CPU to 3GHz). I'm downloading the Prime95 now. Thanks again.

Back