• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

faster dram or tighter timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamitp

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750(2.66 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FB)]
ASUS P5N-E SLI(Nforce 650i SLI, 1333 Mhz FSB)
Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 800, 1GB X 2= 2GB in Dual Channel
XFX Geforce 8600 GT
Seagate 7200.10 SATA2 250 GB.
Lite-On LH-20A1P 20X DVD+_RW
Zebronics 500 W Platiunum
Zebronics Peace

currently i have OCed my proccy to 3.3, with dram(unlinked) at 800 mhz with 5-5-515 and voltage at 2.03V

i want to know if i will get better performance with increased dram frequency or tighter timing.

please also recommend the optimal settings for dram freq. and timings for my RAMs

well its reallly up to what you want. from my testing the faster dram speed with looser timings did gain me some but only in superpi 1m. its not something you would notice in gaming. at 3.2ghz @ddr2-800 4-4-4-10 i was .34 secs slower then if i was running 3.22ghz @ddr2-1118 5-5-5-14.

how fasr do you think my kingston value rams can go with no cooling?

Yeah it depends on the programs you run. Some like tight timings, some prefer MHz. I would never go any looser than 5-5-5-15.

I would be surprized if your RAM hit anything close to 1000MHz. Value RAM is not that great...

On the cooling side - additional cooling rarely lets you clock higher, but what it does do is extend the lifespan of your sticks when you give them lots of voltage. So if you are going to give it high voltage then stuff a fan in there!

For 24/7 I would not give them more than 2.2V. Keep raising the FSB until you get memtest errors then raise the volts and keep raising the FSB. That is the only way you will know for sure. Remember to up the voltage on your motherboard memory controller

3.3 ghz barely puts the Ram out of its spec, so it should run fine with 5-5-5-15 clocks and some volts. IF you going a lot further, just get some better quality ddr2 800 stick like Cosair XSM2pro Curcial Ballistix OCZ PLatinum which will overclok a bit better.

guys the thing is i OC after setting FSB:DRAM to unlinked, so the ram freq. doesn't change at all.
i wanna know wot is the best freq/timing config, which my sticks can run, how about 800 mhz wid 4-4-4-12 or 900 wid 5-5-5-15?

Back