• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Baby is dying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

What can you say about a chip that has outlasted 2 or 3 mobo's?
My old PIII 700E is still rockin' but I can't seem to get a good mobo to keep up with it..this old Abit SH6 (slot one 815E chipset) has been rma'd once, the original build is about 6 or 7 yrs old and now the bad cap problem is coming back to haunt me...spotted another when I suspected a bad cap or two and my mobo locked up randomly.
So, I plug in two more fans hoping to keep this old pig from dying till I get my c2d system built, then I will Attempt to repair the board myself.
I have had a lot of fun on this old monster, and I'm reluctant to give it up just yet :cry: ...Anybody else feel that way?
Doc

have you thought about asking someone to replace the caps on the mobo? its not the hard but then it could be costly for the caps alone....

If it would be of any interest to you, I could offer you an 815E based Intel board for the cost of shipping. I think that I still have a couple lying around.

same here i have asus cusl2-c in the box i got off the bay some time ago, so looks like your pretty much covered. :O btw if you can could you post the markings on the caps from that mobo that are going bad?

Jesus sh**! I just read the title of this thread without reading which forum section it was in, and for a second I thought it was in General Discussions. My heart stopped and I went "Oh my god..."

THEN I SAW IT WAS ABOUT A ****ING COMPUTER!!!

Anyway...

@gigabit...

I don't know about all that. Reefa never helped me with anything. All he ever did for me was save me forty dollars that lead to me buying superior memory that I could hold to 4-4-3-5 at fewer volts than the memory I was going to buy (and even run at CAS3 if I wanted to...)

...oh wait.

Yeah, I get blamed for all sorts of stuff. :D

I remember back in high school (OK, we won't discuss just how LONG ago that was), a buddy bought some booze and got me drunk and we got caught by his parents...they banned ME from the house for about 6 months...said I was a bad influence.

Then there was the time...well, you get the picture.

Looks like everyone else has you covered, but just in case, I have a Supermicro P6SBA that I bought in 1999 for a P3-500mhz college rig. Slot-style for the CPU. Back when Supermicro still made desktop boards!

It's hanging on my living room wall along with the cards I used in the build as a decoration/conversation piece, but if you'd like it, let me know.

I remember back in high school (OK, we won't discuss just how LONG ago that was), a buddy bought some booze and got me drunk and we got caught by his parents...they banned ME from the house for about 6 months...said I was a bad influence.

lmao.Me to Reefa

I am running a PIII too. Its old faithful :D It has served me for 7yrs and I dont intend to throw it out. Its been a part of me. I need new capable RAMs tho, since I cant get it to run higher

On the subject of the caps... Why not try replacing them yourself? If the board is dying, it's not like you're gonna make it any worse anyway. The caps aren't that expensive... depending on the values they're not gonna be more than 20-40c apiece, especially if you buy a bag of 'em from Digikey or the like. And you can get extras for future repairs on other boards. (And get a desoldering bulb while you're at it... it makes all the difference.)

It's pretty easy to do, honestly, and this coming from someone who's admittedly bad at soldering.

Hehe, so at which point did the failure in judgement occur, before or after the booze? :beer:

I can't say that I've known more than one person (in his case Alcohol was the least of what he got in trouble for), personally, that ever got caught/in trouble for drinking. Most of my friends (and including myself from time to time) usually have something here and their with their parents &/or bosses and everyone is totally cool about it. Pretty funny I think.

So Doc, is this issue resolved? I was about to post to recommend shooting a PM to Super Nade about recapping, but I noticed the thread was around 6 months old.

No, I haven't done anything as of yet....I wuz waiting for my income tax return so I could zip them off to Super_Nade..
And Thanks to all who offered me their 815 chipset based board..but the prob is that the SH6 is the only slot one 815 board in existence and All my PIII's are slot one...BX chipset was great, but the 815E has more flexibility.
I'm so happy with my quad setup that I will probably setup the old SH6 for someone in my family...someone is gonna get a rockin' setup...but I'm not sure if I can give up my 700E 1129mhz on air is farely impressive for an old PIII.

And Super_Nade, I will be e-mailing you in a couple of days to send off the SH6, and maybe my old BE6 ver1.
Thanks to all,
Doc

No, I haven't done anything as of yet....I wuz waiting for my income tax return so I could zip them off to Super_Nade..
And Thanks to all who offered me their 815 chipset based board..but the prob is that the SH6 is the only slot one 815 board in existence and All my PIII's are slot one...BX chipset was great, but the 815E has more flexibility.
I'm so happy with my quad setup that I will probably setup the old SH6 for someone in my family...someone is gonna get a rockin' setup...but I'm not sure if I can give up my 700E 1129mhz on air is farely impressive for an old PIII.

And Super_Nade, I will be e-mailing you in a couple of days to send off the SH6, and maybe my old BE6 ver1.
Thanks to all,
Doc

I have an old CUSL2 that I just can't convince myself to get rid of. It OC'd an old PIII 733 EB to around 994. I am not sure if it was the PCI/IDE or Ram that was holding me back from going farther, but it seemed like the chip wanted more and more. It only had a stock Barton Socket A HSF, and temps never broke a sweat. I was actually surprised it ran as stable as it did at stock voltage. One of these days I may just pick up a cheap random case and put a few SATA controller cards in it and just use it as a file server til it dies. I am still amazed at that rig even to this day. I hope all gets worked out for you. S_N seems to be good at those cap changes, even though anyone who can use a solder iron and some desoldering braid could do it, he seems to have more knowledge about what caps to use than I would know.

Back