• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I slow timing to achieve rated speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

basso3456

I have 2 sticks of corsair ddr 400 (pc3200) and 2 sticks of Hyundia ddr400 of the same speed but different timing that came with the computer. The timing on the corsair is 2.5-3-3-8 and the timing on the Hyundia is 3.0-3-3-8. My bios automatically sets my ram speed and timing to ddr333 and the timing to 2.5-3-3-7. This seems to work fine after testing with prime95 torture test and memtest 86+ version 1.78. Would it be better to manually set my ram speed and timing in the bios in order to get my rated ram speed of ddr400 instead of ddr333? In order to do this I must slow the timing from 2.5-3-3-7 to 3.0-3-3-8. This matches the Hyundia ram which is the slower ram. Is my bios doing a good thing or am I correct by setting my speed manually to ddr400 and slowing the CL to 3.0? I have just passed memtest after trying this with no errors and am in prime95 still testing as I write this. Which setting is better or faster- the auto mode in bios or my way?
Thanks

You should definately set it to ddr400. Try booting at 2.5-3-3-8 first...if that doesn't work you could try upping the voltage a little bit....if it still doesn't work then you'll have to lossen the timings...

I changed timing to 2.5-3-3-8 from 3.0-3-3-8 and actually lowered voltage from 2.72V to 2.66V. I increased speed from ddr333 to ddr400. I have made an error free pass in memtest86+. This is an AMD system and I see from your advice and from reading the stickies that this is where I should be. I don't know why auto mode in bios chose a slower speed but I am glad I changed it.
Thanks BenF. :)

I changed timing to 2.5-3-3-8 from 3.0-3-3-8 and actually lowered voltage from 2.72V to 2.66V. I increased speed from ddr333 to ddr400. I have made an error free pass in memtest86+. This is an AMD system and I see from your advice and from reading the stickies that this is where I should be. I don't know why auto mode in bios chose a slower speed but I am glad I changed it.
Thanks BenF. :)

Manufacturers usually program the modules to run at speeds and timings that are more relaxed than what the ram can actually run in order to maximize the number of motherboards that the sticks will be compatible with.

Those that know how to change speed and timings manually do so and those that don't (or maybe I should state those that have motherboards without tweaking options), run default (SPD) settings.

Thanks Reefa_Madness for the reply. I have received this response in another forum and am wondering about it. :confused: I do not have any problems with memtest86+ and my Hyundia ram. I have not read up on memory controllers but I am thinking that each model and brand of board and bios is unique and the same hyundia ram will overclock in one particular board but not in another. I am not talking about a board that does not allow for overclocking in the bios or a person that does not know how to overclock. I am saying that the board itself is physically incapable of using lower timings and or higher voltage. Is my thinking correct? I am still wondering about the quote below. Is this person saying that the ram is not capable of better timing or that all 939 boards are just to fast or only this combination of Hyundia and a 939 board will not work? He is wrong however, because it is doing fine in my 939.

"I wouldn't recommend overclocking that Hyundia ram with a socket 939 at all, the onboard memory controller is so fast that it's very unforgiving."

Last edited:
Back