• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me overclock ram, newbie questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkhaine

Registered
I've got an Athlon 64 3500+, with 2x512 Corsair Value memorys and an Abit KN8-Ultra motherboard.
The reason I want to overclock is just for interest and curiosity, I was thinking some mhz is enough to begin with.
I've read a couple of FAQ's, but none has the answer to my questions, which are:

1. From what I understand, ram memory becomes slower if you overclock the FSB but not the actual memory. Is this true, or is it just that memory becomes more of a bottle-neck?

2. When I run CPU-Z, SPD only lists latency's for recommended speeds. How shall I know what latency's to use?

3. Does overclocking ram speed, but not the latency, cause system instability or decreased performance?

4. What should I strive for, high speed or low latency?

5. Which are your recommendations and tips for the system I have?

I've tried overclocking one time, I set the FSB on 250 Mhz (+50) and my PC3200 memory to DDR500 to maintain 1:1 ratio. The computer wouldn't start then.

Thanks for any help.
/Arkhaine

Last edited:
Back