• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix wont run stable past 1:1 (750)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I got some crucial ballistix and the previous user was able to get them to run at 4448 1200 @ 2.5v.

I can't for the life of me get them past 1:1 (750 which my proc is currently maxed at). I have tried maxing the vcore up to 2.5 and loosening the timings to 5 5 5 15. They just won't stay stable. There are a bunch of options on this mobo I am un familiar with. Ill try to take a pic of the screen and post it for everyone to see.

--pak

Set all of the subtimings to auto, and try disabling DRAM static read control and transaction booster. Set the transaction booster level to 1 or 2. Make sure you disable both of the spread spectrum options.

Try disabling all CPU options in the bios for maximum stability. ie: speedstep, c1e, vanderpool, etc. etc.

I don't like the way Asus runs their memory. Why would you HAVE to run at DDR2 900 or 1125? Can't you just set it for 1:1 5:6... etc? On gigabyte boards this is accomplished by setting 2.00 (for 1:1) 2.5 for... well whatever the hell would get you 900mhz... But it follows the FSB timings.

Is that how it works with Asus? Because, if that's the case... then you wouldn't be able to get 915, or 925, or anything like that...

Well it's the same thing isnt? just stated different. 750=1:1

--pak

Well it's like this. If you set your bus to 400, it will show ur 1:1 option as 800. Now if you want to go up one, 5:6, it will show it as 960 instead of 5:6.

It does the math for you. The ratios are there, but instead of showing the ratios, it shows the end result of what speed you ramp will be running. I like these feature.

--pak

*added* and just an added update. I was prime stable for about 30 min with my memory at 900, but it crashed while running 2 instances of wow(2 instance of wow is my true stability test). So I have it back down to 750 :-(

--pak

Well I bumped the NB temp up to 1.4 and I was able to boot into windows at 1200, but it was not stable. So ATM, I am in windows prime stable for 10 min or so at 1000, which is good enough for daily use for me.

How much can I put to the NB?

--pak

I don't know what is up with these sticks or this whole 775 upgrade in fact. I finally get the cpu rock stable at 375x8, but now the memory is being picky with me. They are good at 750, but thats not enough for me. I would like to see these do atleast 900, which I can't seem to get them there 100% stable. I got everything down to stock settings, 5 5 5 15 @ 2.2, won't even prime at 900.

--pak

Thats another problem. I can't get this rig to post with any other multi than 8.

--pak

Maybe the issue is with the CPU, and not the ram?

The ram has run higher clocks before, according to the seller that you bought them from, right?

In this review, they could only hit 355 with their E2140, so your 375 may actually not be too much out of line. While there are always exceptions, I'm begining to believe that Intel is doing a better job of binning and the lower end line is not producing quite the overclocks that once were obtainable.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2160_14.html#sect0

Last edited:
You could try upping your NB voltage to 1.4v, although that doesn't do anything for me. Here's a weird one: is your RAM in the black or the yellow slots? Put them in the black slots furthest from the CPU.

Reefa said it. It could be the CPU holding you back, i.e a so-called inexplicable wall.

This is what my sticks do at 2.2V. COMPLETELY UNOPTIMIZED SETTINGS.

1.JPG

I have put them in both slots, seems to be the same. Upping the NB voltage seemed to help, but not really after better testing.

Now I understand the FSB wall, but is there an issue with running on an up divider? Otherwise, do I need a cpu/mobo that will do 600FSB to get these sticks running at optimum speeds?

--pak

Up-dividers depend on the BIOS. In some BIOS'es, they work and in some they don't. You just have to check what others are getting. Drop to CAS 4 and 2T. Sometimes, CAS 5 may actually be worse than CAS 4, especially if you are upping the voltage.

BTW, how is that Opty treating you? ;) Go for 3.5GHz and break some records! :)

The opty is running great. So far at best, I was just shy of 3.3 with 1.55. I havn't gone any higher vcore wise, but I'm sure I can do 1.7 like I have on my other 939s. Then I started playing with this 775.

I see you are using a p5k, do your up dividers work?

--pak

My up dividers work perfectly. My E2160 doesn't mind 425MHz FSB, so I have trouble believing yours is topping out that low. 501 BIOS, correct?

Back