• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 1 + 2 x 512?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Should be, but overclocking the ram would probably be out of the question. This is what wikipedia says:

If the motherboard has two pairs of differently coloured DIMM sockets (the colours indicate which bank they belong to, bank 0 or bank 1), then one can place a matched pair of memory modules in bank 0, but a different-capacity pair of modules in bank 1, as long as they are of the same speed. Using this scheme, a pair of 1 GiB memory modules in bank 0 and a pair of matched 512 MiB modules in bank 1 would be acceptable for dual-channel operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

You should be able to run 3 GBs of ram, with each channel holding 1.5 GBs (a 1GB module plus one 512MB module in each channel).

Oveclocking would depend on whether on not the modules use the same chips or not and if not, how close there specs match (voltage and timing).

Yeah that's what i thought. If my friend ever does this... it will be 2 x 1gig corsair ddr667 4-4-4-12 and 2 x 512mb corsair ddr667 5-5-5-15. Just loosen the timings on both till 5-5-5-15 and there we go. Running quadcore at 333 x 9 = 3ghz, so the ram will be @ stock.

Running 1:1 with those 5-5-5-15 timings should work. Who knows...you might even be able to tighten the timings some.

I tried it.. went from 490 for 1gb to 460 for 2gb and 430 for all 3 gb... yes you can do it but the sum is less then the total...

Back