• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8gb of ram in Vista Ultimate. What should I use it for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
So I am building an all new computer this week (parts are on order).

Intel q6600
asus striker extreme
4x2gb patriot extreme 5-5-5-12
500gb samsung spinpoint T
corsair 620watt
8800GTS 640mb

I will be using vista ultimate. how should I allocate the ram usage?

my knowledge on things like ramdrives is basically non existant. Thanks guys

Oh lawls... you COULD make a ram drive and throw some game installs in there... ermm dunno, that's alooot of ram... Vista will end up using at least 2gb of that, so you really won't have to worry too much about making it useful...

u spent money to get 8gigs of ram but you still have a 8800GTS??????

I don't think you can completely disable a pagefile... But with 8 gigs of ram... It could be really darn small.

It was not my idea, my younger brother did it without asking (ordered two of the same computers in one big order). I would rather have traded 4 of those gigs for a better video card, but seeing as how I'm upgrading from the computer in my signature, it doesn't really matter what it is, cause it's going to be a hundred times faster.

It was not my idea, my younger brother did it without asking (ordered two of the same computers in one big order). I would rather have traded 4 of those gigs for a better video card, but seeing as how I'm upgrading from the computer in my signature, it doesn't really matter what it is, cause it's going to be a hundred times faster.

JESUS! That rig in your sig is something out of the DARK AGES... and I thought the rig in my profile was old... :)

Don't forget, that 8GB or ram is only good if you install the 64bit version of Vista. (Or xp of course)
Yeah, I have vista 64bit ultimate on the way with the system.

And yes, my old system is old as helllll. I'm very ready to get the crap away from socket A and AGP slots.

I think thats better than my softmodded 9500NP
Oldest comp I ever had was a Macintosh5200(got rid of last week)
8gb of Ram- Sell it. Rent it out to Photoshopers. Learn how to photoshop. Use it as a paper weight. Do whatever you want with it. (Id go for the selling and getting a gfx upgrade to a GTX0 :beer:

I would like to think that an 8800GTS would be sufficient to play anything I want (since I don't really play computer games anymore..thats what the PS3 and XBOX360 are good for)

In hindsight, I should have gotten my own 8800 ultra and scrapped 4gb of the ram.

but oh well, it's still faster than what I'm on now...

Back