• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Stunning Story about AMD shackling the press.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not news really.

EVERY company has done something like this since time began. If I am in a competitive environment (ya know that place called earth), I am not going to want every company that tours my factory to announce that they just saw I was working on a 600 core processor with 1600gb intergrated DDR10 or that the new paper I am working on is waterproof and fire retardant but biodegrades in 3 weeks.

The competition isnt able to get a leg up via the press (in theory) and I am able to promote the next gen gear a bit ahead of the curve instead of 2+ years.

not news really.

EVERY company has done something like this since time began. If I am in a competitive environment (ya know that place called earth), I am not going to want every company that tours my factory to announce that they just saw I was working on a 600 core processor with 1600gb intergrated DDR10 or that the new paper I am working on is waterproof and fire retardant but biodegrades in 3 weeks.

The competition isnt able to get a leg up via the press (in theory) and I am able to promote the next gen gear a bit ahead of the curve instead of 2+ years.

Not true. First of all Intel doesn't need a press conference to know what's going on at AMD headquarters. In every major level of business... and I'm talking about once you get into the hundreds of millions of dollars... industrial espionage is the order of the day. And I'm not talking about guys sneaking in through the air ducts either. I'm talking about two buddies and one just happens to work for the other company. I'm talking about disgruntled employees leaking information to the competitors and... hell... while I'm at it... I'm talking about guys sneaking through the air ducts.

But that's not what this article about. This article is about AMD, that holy, saintly, "even though we do everything wrong, 'We Can Do No Wrong'," company trying to bully some independant journalistic concern into a completely open-ended contract where they would effectively sign away all the rights to their own intellectual property (as it relates to AMD)... for at least the next five years.

It's somewhat dillusional to call that "normal."

Then again I've never believed in the basic fallacy that any corporation can be deemed "Good."

I understand NDAs and usually they expire once the product is released.

Five years?!!

Ship reporters to the site and demand a signature or they will have to find their own way home?!

This is just one report so we don't really know for sure.

It's hard to believe any company, even AMD, could be so buffoonish to do such a bad PR move when the reporters could report it to the world.

Hehe 5 years later, in IT. Now with the war raging more than ever it's pretty funny, 5 years from now the low end procs will do like 4 times better than today's top will anybody care about it besides AMD ?

I wonder what they forced on the others to lend them some barcs for the weekend.

I understand NDAs and usually they expire once the product is released.

Five years?!!

Ship reporters to the site and demand a signature or they will have to find their own way home?!

This is just one report so we don't really know for sure.

It's hard to believe any company, even AMD, could be so buffoonish to do such a bad PR move when the reporters could report it to the world.

I wasn't surprised at all. AMD is the computing equivalent of Nintendo.

5 years is more than is needed...they should have just made the reporters sign a NDA until the product is launched.

I would have agreed to the contract, its probably only a 50/50 chance whether AMD will stay in business for long enough to make anybody honour it.

Yeah, I've looked for some solid information but all I can find is hearsay that that one dude walked out. I dunno, NDAs always have stupid stipulations to them and never work, anyway. All companies use them and they're always ridiculous. But whether or not this happened at all is dubious.

The truth about business you need to do whatever you can to try and beat out your rivalry. As long as it is within legal limits, otherwise you shouldn't be in the business. Companies like Intel and AMD have are in a catch twenty two. If they don't tell people what their doing their customer base may shrink, but at the same time if they use methods to try and keep the media informed even if it requires paying them it all depends. If they do something wrong we don't like them, and even when we do something right we still wont always like them.

At first I was taken aback at the lack of concern from the enthusiast community,but then I gave my head a shake and realized that any news piece that puts AMD in a bad light,or worse (true or not) is now seen and derailed by the fan boys as 'hating' from the Intel crowd.

Back