• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a Motherboard Problem ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixman

I just put my old system into a new case. It did work for 6 mos together. Now in order to get it started I have to flick th power switch on the psu. It then comes on. Once on, it will stay on, but a few minutes after shutdown and I cannot power the system on without using the PSU power switch and then it comes on automatically and boots up. The green light on the motherboard does stay on. I checked all of the connections for a short and cannot find one.

Is my motherboard bad ?

Is it saying anything about a CMOS flash or corruption? Have you tried just resetting it all and starting with a blank slate? Maybe look for a BIOS update as well? I'd try the CMOS reset first though.

I have seen this happen with asus Mbs before some times has to do with Failed overclocks . Maybe a bump on some of the voltages might help

I tried the cmos reset from the board last night. All of my setting are default and I am still having the problem. Could it be a bad battery?

It is as if my board looses it's charge after a while and will not start up unless I give it a boost from the psu.

Very odd . I dont get this problem myself cause when I turn the PC off i use the PSU off switch most of the time . but it might be the mb giving you problems . I have only seen this happen with my P5k a few times and always when I had my mem way out of spec and highly overclocked .

I just put my old system into a new case. It did work for 6 mos together. Now in order to get it started I have to flick th power switch on the psu. It then comes on. Once on, it will stay on, but a few minutes after shutdown and I cannot power the system on without using the PSU power switch and then it comes on automatically and boots up. The green light on the motherboard does stay on. I checked all of the connections for a short and cannot find one.

Is my motherboard bad ?

My rig is in the signature. Yes, you described my problem exactly!

However, for my rig, resetting the CMOS does solve the problem, until I OC the system again, and then I get this same behavior. I've not noticed that increasing voltages helped, but I think I'll try it.

I'll be watching this thread to see if any of the suggestions work.

Does it also hang when you F10 out of the BIOS after changes? (Save and Exit)

Edit: Flashing the BIOS didn't help with me. I'm on V.2004

After the cmos reset(didn't take the battery out, but just the cmos pin on the P5 DH)I basically left everything stock and the memory is 5-4-4-15 and it's Crucial Ballistix DDR2 8000.

Both the OP and oaksteve, did you try making sure the RAM timings are manually set at stock?

Please forgive the hijack, but hopefully two people with the same problem will be easier to solve than one.

I tried to solve the problem by setting the everything to default in the BIOS. It made no difference.

However, resetting the CMOS DOES fix the problem... Until I overclock again. (FYI, during the Heat Wave we're having in Oregon now, I'm at 3.03Ghz, DDR 800 at stock voltage- Orthos stable for 8 hours @~57c. It appears to be a successful, and modest OC.)

After the problem reappears, nothing short of a CMOS reset solves the problem. Although this morning, it fired right up without resetting the psu. But tomorrow...? It's inconsistent. I keep my rig out where I can reach the psu reset as a workaround.

I suspected it was going into some faulty 'sleep' mode. Something with the Vista OS... but perhaps it is RAM timings...

It's OakstAve BTW...:beer:

Thanks for sharing the thread Mixman!

Pull the battery out, turn it over briefly so it's upside down. (Resets everything instantly.)

Alternately, you can leave it out for few minutes.

After the cmos reset(didn't take the battery out, but just the cmos pin on the P5 DH)I basically left everything stock and the memory is 5-4-4-15 and it's Crucial Ballistix DDR2 8000.

Stock settings for those are 4-4-4-12 with 2.2v. Set it at that.

Most board will post simply for stability at higher timmings because they default to 1.8v. Any type of OC will require them to need more voltage. If you don't do this you will get a normal OC failure and will need a CMOS reset. It doesn't matter if you increase the FSB 1Mhz or 100Mhz.

Most likely your RAM isn't stock at 1.8v. If you don't change anything, your motherboard isn't smart enough to know what your RAM stock volts are. You HAVE to do that manually. There is no VID like there are for CPUs. So "not changing" your RAM voltage doesn't mean it is at stock.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to provide your RAM the voltage it requires.

I'm not convinced it is Mixman's problem, but it sound exactly like what oakstave's problem is, regardless of you thinking you have it set right. I still think you do not.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the thread Mixman!

Pull the battery out, turn it over briefly so it's upside down. (Resets everything instantly.)

Alternately, you can leave it out for few minutes.

you're joking right? upside down has nothing to do with it :p it is more likely the length of time needed and it just happens to take you longer when you turn it upside down :rolleyes:

you're joking right? upside down has nothing to do with it :p it is more likely the length of time needed and it just happens to take you longer when you turn it upside down :rolleyes:

I've been told that 'shorting out' the connection by turning the battery upside down instantly resets the CMOS, without having to wait. Owner of a computer shop told me this. I couldn't tell you if it's accurate or not, just what I heard.

Do you mean turning it upside down and reinserting it back into the motherboard? I read it as, physically holding it in the air and flipping it around, heh.

Do you mean turning it upside down and reinserting it back into the motherboard? I read it as, physically holding it in the air and flipping it around, heh.

Yes, stick it back in the motherboard!! ROFLMAO:beer:

No, I'm pretty sure there isn't any mojo you can put on the battery to reset the CMOS! LOL

Yes, stick it back in the motherboard!! ROFLMAO:beer:

No, I'm pretty sure there isn't any mojo you can put on the battery to reset the CMOS! LOL

lol, I know, but it sounded like you thought there was, so I had a good laugh.

BTW, don't skip over my previous post about memory timings. I think that is your issue. I don't know your stock voltage, but leaving it on Auto or not touching it is surely not stock, and most likely well below stock.

lol, I know, but it sounded like you thought there was, so I had a good laugh.

BTW, don't skip over my previous post about memory timings. I think that is your issue. I don't know your stock voltage, but leaving it on Auto or not touching it is surely not stock, and most likely well below stock.

I'll check when I get home. This would be a welcome development! I've been dealing with this problem since March. (Still laughing in my cube...)

Back