• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for my laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firejunior88

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba laptop that takes PC4200 DDR2 SDRAM. I bought a stick of ram off ebay extremely cheap, its 667 Mhz DDR2 PC2-5300 ram. Now if I put my newly bought stick into my laptop, will it be compatible? I'm sorry about the noob question, I'm new to this whole thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated...:santa::santa:

Eh. I don't think so. It needs to be so-Dimms. Double check.

Yep, laptops take SO-DIMM as opposed to SDRAM

But if these are SO-DIMM sticks, then I think it will be compatible. I assume you mean that you want to use the old and new sticks at the same time? you need two slots of course. That should work, the memory will just run at the speed of the slowest stick. I would check with the manufacturer or the manual for compatability lists...

Compare them to normal RAM stivks, they are shorter and wider.
IF you dont have any Ram to hand, look inside your laptop and see if the two ram sticks are the same approximate size ( parts in the slot of the laptop.) if so, yes, just swap them out. If not, badluck, youve been cheated on ebay.
Pobably the first ever person to have that happen to you.....

The ram stick I have is rather small compared to other ram. I kind of figured it was laptop ram. I just wanted to know if it would be compatible with my laptop. I didn't want to just throw it in their and then it doesn't work. Even if I did get cheated, it only cost me $3, so its not a big deal.

If it's not defective, it will work, but at the laptops rated memory bus speed, unless you overclock ;)

Which means there really is no point in putting it in because it will only run at 384? Is that what you are saying?

OK so if you have 384 take the 128mb stick out and put in the one you bought. See if it boots

Back