• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

super2007

hi, i am building a new gaming rig, so i have some question on what to get and wat not to get..
so here is wat i wana go for...$700-1000 max

cpu.intel e6850 3.0 clock..best!!
mobo..i wana go to asus sticker extreme any other, i really cant make up my mind..
ram..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145168
CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB is this good? or bad?

video..any 8800 gts oc or gts 640 mb version..

i got all the rest, just need help with these parts, tell me please if i need these or i should get other parts,
i dont plan on SLI, because soon i will sell my gts down the road and get better video card, right now i am low on $ thats y i am going with gts..cheap, but i need help with a good, fastest mobo and ram, i like asus extreme because lights

another question..how is nvidia dual net technology? i heard it improves performance? does it?
and last..plz suggest me a good fast ram+mobo that is really fast..ddr2 800 or 1066? any

just help me guys, i am new and i been saving up my money for the past 1 year, dont want to waste it on things i dont need or things that are not computable.

i have seen these mobo in different users sigs, and aviaters..
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus
ASUS P5K3 Deluxe/WIFI-AP
Asus Stricker
evga nvidia nforce 680i sli

are these any good? should i go with these?
hope this is not too much to ask! and sorry for my bad english

corsair xms2 dominator is bad as i know .. i tried them on my p5n32-e sli and they don't even run stably at default clock which is 533Mhz i thought it was the sticks problem but even after i rma them .. i still have that problem
well for mobo at the moment i would suggest to get asus or dfi with p35 chipset
my asus p5k premium has led around the ram slots though
if you have a good budget you may get crucial ballistix tracer pc2-8500 or ocz brand
and i am not really sure with the nvidia dual net technology

Welcome to the forums!

We really need to know what you plan on doing with the machine...are you going to overclock or no? Gaming? Encoding? Graphics? Folding?

I'd avoid the striker. The P5K Premium has been a champ from all I've read. I didn't have the coin for it, I got what's in my sig, and I can honestly say it was the single smothest build I've done.

I'd save a little coin on the mobo and make sure to get a good heatsink. Also, if you plan on overclocking, you could save a bit by going to a lesser cpu, say the 6750.

As for RAM, if you like the lights, you could go with the mentioned tracer series.

I like what I got...solid, cost effective, and stable. Fast is reletive to what you do with the machine.

EDIT:

E6750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029 199.99
Crucial Tracers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148070 159.49 though waste of money IMO
EVGA 8800 GTS Superclocked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130038 294.99
P5k Premium: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131190 219.99

With the items you want, you're breaking your budget at 874.46 not including any tax or shipping, and I even saved you $100 on the CPU, so if you want the 6850, tack another 100.00 on that.

It ain't cheap getting top end components.

Last edited:
I do not have personal experience with the stricker extreme, BUT a friend of mine running it for about 3 months said he is dissapointed in the board. Most around here will say go with the p35 chipset for ocing, if you want to leave sli as a future option go with the evga 680i revision A1. I finally decided on the evga personally, and most say it is a better board than the stricker extreme and is 80 bucks cheeper. It is easy to find both 680i and p35 in the 150 to 200 range.

Most 8800 gts are solid and go for around $280. If this still breaks your budget consider an older ati like the x1950's or the nvidia 7950. The 8600's as of now are considered underwhelming.

Heatsinks. The thermalright ultra 120 extreme is the best. If you need to save around $10 the thermalright ultima 90 is very very close. But to oc you must expect to spend 50 to 75 on a hs with a fan.

Crustial ballistix ram is a big fav around these parts, so I decided to go with that. The pc8500 flavor is around 140 per 2 gb matched(have seen it as low as 129). You can get the pc6400 in the 70 range for 2 gb match. Many have been very happy with ocing the pc6400. The dominator (pc8500) runs 200 plus, you can save alot here fast, do not get the dominator.

Consider doing the q6600 as opposed to the e6850. There have been many quad vs 2 core debates, but the future seems to favor 4 cores so the q6600 may be more future proof despite giving up some ghz.

Do not go cheep with a power supply, BUT do not wast money on one larger than you need. When you hit over 800 w or so prices will skyrocket. Without sli, 600w or so is probably all you need. Calculate what you need here to save money. A good 600w is 120ish while a good 800w will generally be 200ish if not alot more.

Watch for rebates and shop around, and if you are feeling brave try ebay.

Last edited:
wow really guys NICE HELP..i really thanks u for helping me..

well as of yet i dont plan on overclocking..but in future yes i am overclocking
well right now i am building for a gaming, i have p4 2.6 tats y, i want a very fast machine to play all games,
um..i cant even imagine going with Crucial Tracers, never knew they were so cheap! well ok if i go with these parts do u think they all are capatable?
and 1 last ? wat about ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus ? this board looks great too! any details on tat?

The tracers and the yellow ballistix are the same memory the lights are just bling. They may run 5 dollars more so this is up to you.

ok i have decides to go with P5k Deluxe WiFi+2GB Crucial Ballistix 8500

but i search a few and i am seeing problems with 8500 ram and my mobo, they are saying i have to set the timing. wat taming? will you guys help me? will it really work under my mobo? as fast?

Get the P5K-Premium. It's only a few dollars more, and is built w/ better components. You can get the 8500s, but the 6400s are a lot cheaper, and OC very well. You don't "need" the 8500s especially if you plan on running 1:1.

What kind of power supply do you have?

What kind of cooler do you have?

These items aren't in your list, and they are pretty important.

um..i saw seeing more of deluxe votes, tats y i wanted to go for that,
well i have x-connect2 550 wat psu
armor case with 4 fans
got all the drives
well ya you are right about 6400 they are cheaper, but i dont no anything about overclocking! i never overclocked anything, and isn't like dangerous? like worrying about temp.? and even if i overclock the 1066 is alot faster than 800 isn't?
well got these ? if anyone can answer them lol i love this site, you people are so friendly!

and ya will i be able to just plug everying in and get it going? or i will have to set up settings and config. the parts?

and is this Crucial Ballistix the fastest and more reliable in 6400 n 1066?

and the premium board has some sata issues? am i correct?

Thanks you alot ppl

Last edited:
um..i saw seeing more of deluxe votes, tats y i wanted to go for that,
well i have x-connect2 550 wat psu
armor case with 4 fans
got all the drives
well ya you are right about 6400 they are cheaper, but i dont no anything about overclocking! i never overclocked anything, and isn't like dangerous? like worrying about temp.? and even if i overclock the 1066 is alot faster than 800 isn't?
well got these ? if anyone can answer them lol i love this site, you people are so friendly!

and ya will i be able to just plug everying in and get it going? or i will have to set up settings and config. the parts?

and is this Crucial Ballistix the fastest and more reliable in 6400 n 1066?

and the premium board has some sata issues? am i correct?

Thanks you alot ppl

Of course we'll help you, if you wish to help yourself. :)

The deluxe adds WIFI and a few other goodies, but it doesn't add any performace over the Premium.

If you're gonna get advice here, we'll ALL tell you that you will HAVE to specify the memory timings, and most voltages. It's really a better way to go. If you want performance, you have to work for it.

The Ballistix are good ram. I have the 6400's and I can say that I'm happy with them. They are rated to run at 2.2 volts, but I have mine running at 1.8 just fine. If you want to spend the extra on the pc8500 ram, by all means go for it.

Your power supply will work fine, for now.

The thing is, you are on a serious budget. There are 3 sectors of the performance market: Extreme budget, budget limited enthusiest, and those with money to burn. You fall between the first two. You are NOT going to get TOP end performace, but you WILL get reasonably close. You will never know the difference more then likely.

Spend some time reading. Ok, so spend A LOT OF TIME reading these forums and you will get a far clearer picture of how things work.

I would pick the P5K premium if you want a max O/C. But, if you only need a modest O/C or none at all, there is nothing wrong with the Deluxe for that purpose. Just get the DDR2-800 RAM (PC2-6400). At the 1:1 ratio, you'd have to O/C the E6850 up over 3.6 gig (400+ FSB) to exceed what it's rated for. Might also consider a better PSU, like the Corsair 520HX.

Back