• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i, no match for p35 oc wise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hey guys, hows it going? Ok, id just like to start this off by saying my p5k deluxe bit the bullet on monday :( So, i sent her back to asus for them to deal with. So im at the shop thinking i should just get a p5k E or something cheap to tide me over. shouldve listend to myself.. I was wooed by the sexiness of the evga 680i A1 mobo, shes purty. so i scooped her and went home. i threw my rig together hit the jo0s and bam, c1 code. it took me a day to figure out the board hates my ram, or cpu. if i clear cmos, then i have to start the board up with no ram, unplug, insert 1 stick and go into bios and set it up. pita. ok, so in windows, all is fine, until you start ocing. i thought they said your good to go with this board, ocing and quad core. LIES. this board is over hyped imho. if you call 366x9 an insane oc, then you have to try an intel chipset lol. the board will get into windows at 400fsb, but then i get a bluescreen for my efforts, or a halt screen. i bought this board ($300 LOL) thinking sli, quad and oc would be the bees knees. i cant wait for my asus to get back. id love to try a diff bios, but it shipped with p30.

this post is like diareaha of the mouth, i just had to spew, srry.

His posts says he got the A1?

There is a Vdroop mod you could try that I've heard about. It'd be better for others to direct you to the exact correct info. trentmentx should know how to help if he sees this.

yep i have an A1. the board itself is a nice board. it boots faster then the p5k. there is plenty of space between the dimms and vidcard area for my ocz xtc cooler. the cpu runs alot cooler with this board then my p5k, but then again, i can only get it to 3300mhz, 367x9. this board is going to run sli, as a gameing rig only for my bedroom, or something like that, the p5k will continue to be my monster :) overall the board is pretty nice, just the low fsb clocking with my cpu is a little disheartning. maybe i will try useing the other dimms, since thats about the only thing i havent tried yet heh. or... maybe i will hit up the classies to get a e6600 for thsi board, and keep the quad on the p5k. jeez, i told myself when i bought my p5k that there will be no more spending on pc parts :bang head

:santa:

im not too sure, i went to reboot and it never posted again.. usually if i put 1 stick in the furthest slot, it would boot right back up if i was in a jam, but it wouldnt even beep for me no matter wich slot a stick was in :( i wasnt even running it hard at all, only 400x8 because it was warm that day, i ran it at 426x8 for 85% of the time i had the quad, it seemed rock stable, like my p5b-d was with my 6600. sad indeed. they had a deluxe on the shelf, no premium, i actually debated for about 2 mins whether or not i should just get another one, but i was down for some adventure, so i got this board.. its actually not too bad.. maybe coulduse a better bios.. even going to a strap type system would be tolerable..

IM general the 35 chipset is supposed to be the better ocer. People have had good luck with the ecga 680i a1 revision especially with the vdrop mod.

P5K overclockes better, and seems to be a better chipset, and some might say SLI is useless.

I had my IP35-Pro die the same way, so i feel for ya. What memory were you using when the deluxe died?

i was useing my ocz platinum pc8500, wich at the time, they were only doing 1066 with 2.1v, so its not like i was layin the boots to it heheh. these things just happen i suppose :cry:

@ deadpixel

i have a p35 board, its just in rma. the chipset is better, and i had good results with sli on amd with 2 6600gts, so i would think 2 8800s would be a lil better :)

i was useing my ocz platinum pc8500, wich at the time, they were only doing 1066 with 2.1v, so its not like i was layin the boots to it heheh. these things just happen i suppose :cry:

@ deadpixel

i have a p35 board, its just in rma. the chipset is better, and i had good results with sli on amd with 2 6600gts, so i would think 2 8800s would be a lil better :)

How are you running AMD on the P35 (intel motherboards only?)

i dont know, its a tough call.. maybe if you can get the fsb up to get the writes and copys higher. reads are strong, a lil stronger then p35, and latency is good, just as good as p35, maybe slightly slower in some situations. but, i cant really get the fsb i need to be at to get those up. it is a nice board tho, just the quad support is pretty sucky imo.

I thought they fixed the quad support at least in the EVGA A1 version. I know if there is an issue Nvidia will be sure to answer it. They have pushed SLI too hard to let it slip now. If that was the case they may well have just licensed it over to Intel for the X38 and be done with it. They have a card or 3 left to play in this new chipset scenario...mark my words.

I'm sitting at 3.7 during summer and 3.8ghz in winters daily with the EVGA 680i A1/T1. The NB and PWM areas need alot cooling is all, which most people don't care too much for sometimes. I have my case open and a fan blowing in, which lowered the NB temps ALOT, not sure how much temps help over PWM but i'm sure it helps. NB temps went from 49C to 31C (49C with the optional fan).

Maybe redo the voltage/fsb settings? i have mines at

1.5v for 3.8, 1.4575 for 3.7ghz (i don't know why it takes that much more), I vdroop modded

memory 2.2v
FSB 1.4v
SPP - 1.55
MCP - 1.5
SPP-MCP - 1.4

On water cooling, MCR220 with APogee GT. g0 Q6600.

i'll drop some more love for Nv based boards, i have had great luck with all that i have owned.

/sidenotes: if you want to play demanding games with high levels of anti-aliasing @ high resolutions I hardly see SLi as being "useless"

ok guys, thanks for the feedback. it is a great board, my first post was mostly made in frustration first thing in the morning dureing my first coffee.

@ treatmentx, ive been a lil sissy with my volts, ill try what you have listed, and hopefully shell run. also as a sidenote. the sticker on the mobo says it as an A1, but that sticker is covering another sticker.. hopefully this isnt an older board thats just been refurbiished.

Last edited:
Let us know how it works out. CPU-z should tell you if its an A1 I'm curious as this was one of my original choices as i really like EVGA's customer support and a few hunderd Mhz is an acceptable loss for that kind of service.

Back