• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More dead D9s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

Well my Firestix lasted about 3 months with a bit of an OC. Luckily I had gotten some GSkill DDR2 800 HZ's for another use before they died, so I used them in this PC. They lasted also about 3 months at DDR2 933 stock timings of 4-4-4-10-4 and stock volts. Thank God I had gotten the Firestix RMA'd. I now have my DDR2 1000 Firestix running at 933 with stock volt and timings. Let's seee how long they last this time. I will RMA the Gskills because it seems like I need to have backup!!

I'm supprised the G-skills didnt last for you, they are supposed to be some of the highest grade stuff out on the market.

I have never heard of firestix.

well the deal is that alot of D9's have been dieing. i have been seeing a increasing amount of posts about cruical's balli's dieing, they use D9's just like the gskill hz' and firestick. not sure whats going on but if running them at stock volts with just a speed bump shouldnt cause them to die like that.

How is the airflow in your case? These chips run very hot, and I would definitely put a fan over them even at 2-2.1V.

How is the airflow in your case? These chips run very hot, and I would definitely put a fan over them even at 2-2.1V.

thats funny cause alot of posts i was reading they had a fan on the ram. even at those low volts which to me didnt make sense why they died.

Well my Firestix lasted about 3 months with a bit of an OC. Luckily I had gotten some GSkill DDR2 800 HZ's for another use before they died, so I used them in this PC. They lasted also about 3 months at DDR2 933 stock timings of 4-4-4-10-4 and stock volts. Thank God I had gotten the Firestix RMA'd. I now have my DDR2 1000 Firestix running at 933 with stock volt and timings. Let's seee how long they last this time. I will RMA the Gskills because it seems like I need to have backup!!
Perhaps your motherboard is to blame?

I'm supprised the G-skills didnt last for you, they are supposed to be some of the highest grade stuff out on the market.

I have never heard of firestix.
Firestix is a marketing name. Made by Buffalo technologies.

well the deal is that alot of D9's have been dieing. i have been seeing a increasing amount of posts about cruical's balli's dieing, they use D9's just like the gskill hz' and firestick. not sure whats going on but if running them at stock volts with just a speed bump shouldnt cause them to die like that.
Any links? I have a couple of sets and this has me a bit worried. Is it any flavor in particular? I mean is it only GMH or only GMX...etc ?

Any links? I have a couple of sets and this has me a bit worried. Is it any flavor in particular? I mean is it only GMH or only GMX...etc ?

ill have to look, i thought i read a few in xs forums, in various threads. not really a certian ic or model, it was just in general the higher binned stuff seemed to be crapping out. my HZ's oddly enough had one stick die after i put them in my parents rig while waiting for some other ram. the hz were running at stock volts/timings, oc in my ip35 for months ran fine and i had a fan on them in both machines. looks like i need to buy a new set of d9's, soon as i get a break to where i can spend more time ill go look for links for ya.

I think one of the OCZ guys said that swapping out DDR2 with the Vsb power on can kill it. I wonder how many people wait for a complete power-down before swapping out sticks?

I think one of the OCZ guys said that swapping out DDR2 with the Vsb power on can kill it. I wonder how many people wait for a complete power-down before swapping out sticks?

ever since i read that bit from tony @ocz i have been doing that everytime. flip the switch on the psu the push the power button to drain the rest then wait a few secs before pulling them.
this is one of the threads i read
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147197
i cant find the other ones though but the issue could be what you brought up. stil though with mine dieing like that im starting to wonder whats going on with the die's.

Alot of D9's have been dieing lately. I've had 3 sticks of Firestix and 1 of my Mushkin sticks go bad. Just got the new set from Buffalo and they seem to perform better than the last batch. But they get HOTT!

I run them at 2.3V with no fan and haven't had a problem yet. Had the new rma'd sticks for about 2 months now, they get plenty hot when loaded, and I game ALOT, and still haven't seen any problems.

I always completely power down when changing anything, ever since the ultra-d days lol
I had a set of crucial's that died on me too, the replacement set was FAR BETTER. Even the tech dude at crucial told me on the phone that alot of the older D9's just isnt cut out for long life, he said crucial made some changes to their D9 sticks. I dunno how much of this is true but I havnt had any other sets die, including all the sets in service in the computers I have built from crucial, gskill, buffalo, corsair and muskin. On the other hand I am a low volts air clocker, I always seek out the best clocking ram and cpu's and I never really put more than 2.2 in D9's anyway. From what i can see from my own experience is that just like a cpu, ram temperature increases dramatically with increased frequency even without a voltage jump.

Example, my ddr2 800 firestix which my buddy still uses did 1100mhz at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1 volts completey stable, but they were hella warm for my taste compared to 800mhz at 4-4-4-8 at 2.1.

hmm i wonder then how much cooler ddr3 run vs the higher speeds they run. i know that was the main thing for video cards to use gddr3 over gddr2.

its probably happening becuase most ddr2 800's are actually 667 IC's and are overvolted, and the 1000's and even some 1066's are 800's and are overvolted. They are already running hot at stock, then you throw them in a mobo with bad dimm regulation and poof.

Last edited:
its probably happening becuase most ddr2 800's are actually 667 IC's and are overvolted, and the 1000's and even some 1066's are 800's and are overvolted. They are already running hot at stock, then you throw them in a mobo with bad dimm regulation and poof.

I agree with you on this one. CPU-Z told me that the 3 of my 4 sticks that were killed showed up as 667 in CPU-Z, not 800, like the last stick thats still running.

well these dimms seem to be dieing in a wide range of mobo's. abit ip35-e @2.1v, gigabyte P35c-ds3, and 2 more i cant recall the names/models of. i find it hard that that many modles would have be dimm regulation.

oh boy... i hope my HZ's dont crap out on me. i havent even really had a chance to see what they can really do!!!

if they do, i'll RMA and see if i can just get a set of HK's again. due to the fact that my current HK's are on server duty....

:( - this is not good news at all

/edit - im going to be watching this thread... man o man.

Back